New Arrivals!

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yup! That's why there's a little pet carrier right next to the coop. They really don't like it when I go out there to round them up to come inside. I have to squeeze myself into that tiny space and crawl into the coop and corner them.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's funny! It won't be long before they can stay outside. Mine line up at the door to go out in the morning. It's funny in the evening. They will line up on the ramp and knock each other off, but nobody will go inside. Then, all at once it's a mad dash through the door! I don't know why they do that, but it is funny to watch!

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
And now (thanks to Monty (lol)) I have a loser chick getting her butt pecked. She stayed inside this morning while the others went outside. All of a sudden most of my chicks have gotten mean. They peck at eachother and at me when I pick them up. When the peck at me I hold them longer until they settle down and stop struggling.

Pecked butt chick gets the rubbermaid tub by herself from now on until she heals and gets a little bigger (she's the smallest). I set up a dog crate which is about 2x bigger than the rubbermaid container for the other chicks.

Any other advice for helping the pecked butt chick heal? And more socialization tips for the others??

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Put some Blue Kote on the pecked chicks butt and get her back in with the others. If you keep her away, the others will be twice as mean to her when she returns. Try to find the worst offenders for the pecking and seperate them for a day. It will knock them down a notch. The blue Kote must tast pretty nasty because the pecking birds will only try it once. Then they spend the next five minutes rubbing their beaks in the bedding trying to get the taste out of their mouth :lol:

You little girl is finally getting her first butt tattoo! :lol: :gig

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stony, those chicks look kinda young for one to be getting her butt tatooed...........might have to call CPS (chicken protective services) :lol:

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

The little picked on girl is doing much better this morning. I did end up putting her outside for several hours yesterday afternoon but they also got strawberry tops at the same time. When they came inside they all went in the same dog crate brooder and no bloody butts this morning. I'm still going to pick up some blue kote since it seems to be a good thing to have on hand.

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I gathered another stick to add another perch for the chicks. They got very excited and started jumping from perch to perch and then to the top of the water.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
And soon will be poo-ing on the waterer :p

(good thing chicks are SO cute, cause they can be really nasty)

Latest posts