New Planting Choices For 2012... What's yours?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will never miss a year of planting Rumbo squash. It looks like a squashed down pumpkin. They grow up to 40 lbs, but many are a more manageable size. I fed my family, the whole neighborhood, many friends, along with 2 soup kitchens. I must have had 100 fruit not counting the 30 or more that I threw in the chicken coop. Normally I get a dozen or so. This year they went crazy. It can be used as a vegetable side dish or a replacement for any pumpkin or winter squash recipe. Makes the best pumpkin pie. Roasted in the oven or on the grill I have never had any one not LOVE it. If you're limited in space, they like to grow on a fence.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Vfem, but since I only have 1 bucket I'm gonna try to find some at a nursery. This way I won't pay shipping. :)

Mary

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am getting a dwarf pineapple tree. When I asked my husband what he wanted to do that was new, he said pineapple. I will have to bring it in at the winter time, but we shall see what happens. I am also thinking about black eyed peas. Other than that, my usual.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A variety of black tomatoes still to be decided. Maybe an orange or pink variety too we'll have to see I'm still planning on paper.

Those and the famed and feared Ghost chilies. I work with some REAL chili heads but they somehow manage to kill silk plants so I figure Ill put some in a pot and give it a whirl. Get this they offered to trade me homemade maple syrup for all the ghost chilies I can grow!!! I couldn't believe it when they offered it so yes Ill be trying those wicked things.

chicken stalker

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
cityfarmer said:
I am getting a dwarf pineapple tree. When I asked my husband what he wanted to do that was new, he said pineapple. I will have to bring it in at the winter time, but we shall see what happens. I am also thinking about black eyed peas. Other than that, my usual.
We have been growing a pinapple since we went to Hawaii in Aug 2010. We brought home a couple pinapples (they taste waaaayyyy different then what you get in stores) and rooted the tops. One made it and is going strong! I'm hoping to see a baby pineapple this summer. :fl

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm trying several new things this year:

golden bamtam corn
Amish Paste tomato
table squash
butternut squash
Louisiana long Green Eggplant
Senposia
and 2 oriental melons

Cora

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I can't wait to see garden pictures later this year from every-one. I hope you guys post your pictures here when time comes.

Casa de la Luna

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Cora said:
I can't wait to see garden pictures later this year from every-one. I hope you guys post your pictures here when time comes.
What a wonderful idea!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just placed my first order of seeds and I'm trying a new pea this spring and new lettuce from parkseed.

Blondie Pea
Calmar Lettuce

Latest posts