1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. This member need landscaping ideas - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Night visitors

Discussion in 'Gardening With Animals' started by jackb, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Feb 21, 2016
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

One of our Malamutes loved skunks. As in loved to chase them under houses and get sprayed. :rolleyes: That got old right away.

I read a book about a Minnesota guy training a team for the Iditarod. In the summer he hitched the dogs to a vehicle, engine removed, as a trainer. He would take the dogs on long training runs through the woods. His description of the dogs going nuts and racing off trail after skunks was hilarious. They would catch and eat them. :sick
    His wife frequently insisted he sleep outside with the dogs...

Nyboy likes this.
  2. Feb 21, 2016
    aftermidnight

aftermidnight Garden Addicted

You guys would really get a laugh if you saw what I posted one time... I was trying to explain something that was quite difficult to do and asked this person to please BARE with me, she came right back and said she didn't think she knew me well enough to do that. My mind knows how to spell, really, but sometimes my fingers have a mind of their own :lol:.
    Annette

3. May 7, 2016
    jackb

jackb Garden Addicted

I know coyotes are around, but these are the first images I have been able to get. They are VERY wary critters. There are multiple images of it over a few days before it came close to the camera. Even though the lighting is IR the animals seem to see/sense it. It did not bother the chubby little racoon though.

coyote 1.jpg coyote 2.jpg

racoon.jpg

catjac1975, thistlebloom and baymule like this.
  4. May 7, 2016
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

Good pics @jackb coyotes around here are bad. We have used 2"x4"x48" horse wire to fence our place. They haven't come over it-yet. Our Great Pyrenees are barky deterrents.

5. May 7, 2016
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

The neighbor 3 doors down likes to kill things. He had a dead one hanging on his fence. Someone called police,not sure what they did, but it disappeared. I know in rural areas that is common practice.But in the city where people live on top of each other not cool

6. May 7, 2016
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

Most nights this time of year I can hear coyotes in three different locations, northeast and southeast on Stevenson Mountain and southwest from a dry creek bed near a forested ridge. This is where a neighbor shot one from her back porch during the day. Yet I hardly ever see one. They are extremely wary. So far the electric netting has kept them out of my chickens, plus I lock them up at night.

Nice photos.

7. May 11, 2016
    jackb

jackb Garden Addicted

Monsieur Renard with a squirrel that had an unfortunate accident while digging in my onion patch. :eek:

Mr. Renard.jpg

catjac1975 and baymule like this.
  8. May 11, 2016
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

That squirrel had a rough day, didn't it. But at least the fox thinks it had a useful end.

Those cameras are fun, aren't they. I think most people would be surprised at what goes on around their house at night.

9. May 11, 2016
    jackb

jackb Garden Addicted

The show begins shortly after sundown and the cast of characters is unreal. :th

10. May 11, 2016
    Smart Red

Smart Red Garden Master

I spotted a fox and two kits today when I stopped at the cemetary. The fox was on a flat tombstone looking for all the world like a dog with a sit/stay order. She would get up and turn around only to sit back on the stone. The nearly grown babies were waiting on the other side of the fence. Since she kept her eyes constantly on the maintenance shed not far away, I wondered if she was expecting a treat from someone there. The door was open and someone was moving around inside.

When we were leaving there was no sight of the family.