Night visitors

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
what type of game camera do you guys use? my dad is thinking of getting one since he has some visitor that has been leaving gifts near the ponds & they aren't from any skunk i would know of but the stuff has fur in it. also too big to be from cat but doesn't seem to be from a dog.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use both a Browning Strike Force Micro and a Stealth Cam. The Stealth Cam takes better night photos but is slightly more expensive.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
what type of game camera do you guys use? my dad is thinking of getting one since he has some visitor that has been leaving gifts near the ponds & they aren't from any skunk i would know of but the stuff has fur in it. also too big to be from cat but doesn't seem to be from a dog.

With fur in it that's some kind of predator. You can look at photos online but I'd think fox, coyote, or bobcat to start with. I'm not sure what other animals may be common in New Hampshire. Fisher maybe? I don't think badger are that far east.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monsieur Renard with a squirrel that had an unfortunate accident while digging in my onion patch. :eek:

View attachment 13421
looking at the photo... it is night time, last time I checked squirrels are not nocturnal. Also, the animal in the fox's mouth doesn't have a long tail. So what else could it be, gopher maybe ? :idunno

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The fox did not catch the squirrel, as the caption says it: had an "accident". If you look to the right there is another unfortunate squirrel. As for the tail, it is perhaps curled up on the other side. Look closely at the dark blob in the coyote photo also.

Last edited:

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The fox is getting to be a regular visitor now. It was romping around at night then took off in a flash when this beast showed up. I can't blame the little thing, as it would have been on the menu for sure.
jackb

REDFOX.jpg

beast.jpg

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm wondering if maybe a fox. i don't think coyote would be in their fenced in yard without other signs they were around in the neighborhood. fox could be living under the pool house though. my parents only have about a 1/3 acre lot in a dense packed area. i though dog droppings when i saw it but there was 4 sets in the same area and only 1 looked like it could be from dog. the other 3 were smaller & almost black but still larger than what i've seen from skunk. any animal that grooms itself would have some hair in their stool. i have indoor cats & i often see some fur in the stool.

i'll suggest the game cams to him & see if he wants to invest in one.

Latest posts