One Alaskans greenhouse

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For us Redwing and Patterson are the only choices; that have done well for us due to our 62Lat. I grow nothing but storage onions and am sure numerous types would grow fine but if it wont store i don’t fool with it. All beds are 3X12 and i’ll grow right at 700/750 in that area, in my best year that was enough till the new crop was lifted!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
variety selection can be a big influence. the largest onions we've grown here are called Kelsae and since we could not get those last year we grew Candy. both are milder onions but some will get fairly large - excellent soil conditions and regular irrigation required. i think Kelsae is more reliably larger, but i only have the one year to go by so far with them.
If you want large, try Exhibition.

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For us Redwing and Patterson are the only choices; that have done well for us due to our 62Lat. I grow nothing but storage onions and am sure numerous types would grow fine but if it wont store i don’t fool with it. All beds are 3X12 and i’ll grow right at 700/750 in that area, in my best year that was enough till the new crop was lifted!
I'm hoping for a truly successful onion crop this year bc my son and daughter in law eat them also so I have to share the love of my garden with my family and friends. Without very many people whom I would consider a friend, family first.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@akroberts, im sorry for all the adversity but i believe adversity breeds resilience and that makes gardening more rewarding. And, when it doesn’t go our way; we still get experience!

If we all lived in Camelot - - what would we talk about? 🙄

ARTHUR:
It's true! It's true! The crown has made it clear.
The climate must be perfect all the year.
A law was made a distant moon ago here:
July and August cannot be too hot.
And there's a legal limit to the snow here
In Camelot.
The winter is forbidden till December
And exits March the second on the dot.
By order, summer lingers through September
In Camelot.
Camelot! Camelot!
I know it sounds a bit bizarre,
But in Camelot, Camelot
That's how conditions are.
The rain may never fall till after sundown.
By eight, the morning fog must disappear.
In short, there's simply not
A more congenial spot
For happily-ever-aftering than here
In Camelot.
Camelot! Camelot!
I know it gives a person pause,
But in Camelot, Camelot
Those are the legal laws.
The snow may never slush upon the hillside.
By nine p.m. the moonlight must appear.
A more congenial spot
In Camelot.

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@akroberts, im sorry for all the adversity but i believe adversity breeds resilience and that makes gardening more rewarding. And, when it doesn’t go our way; we still get experience!

If we all lived in Camelot - - what would we talk about? 🙄

ARTHUR:
It's true! It's true! The crown has made it clear.
The climate must be perfect all the year.
A law was made a distant moon ago here:
July and August cannot be too hot.
And there's a legal limit to the snow here
In Camelot.
The winter is forbidden till December
And exits March the second on the dot.
By order, summer lingers through September
In Camelot.
Camelot! Camelot!
I know it sounds a bit bizarre,
But in Camelot, Camelot
That's how conditions are.
The rain may never fall till after sundown.
By eight, the morning fog must disappear.
A more congenial spot
In Camelot.
Camelot! Camelot!
I know it gives a person pause,
But in Camelot, Camelot
Those are the legal laws.
The snow may never slush upon the hillside.
By nine p.m. the moonlight must appear.
A more congenial spot
In Camelot.
I haven't ever heard or read that however, if we could all just live in Camelot, life would be so much better. Back in reality the weather is just simply saying "stop killing me." I genuinely believe that Mother Nature has her own mind for fixing the wrong. Thank you for sharing the Camelot story.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
everytime i've been checking the radar recently it looks like LA is getting a good washdown, but i'm sure it's also creating troubles with mudslides and roads getting damaged.

all the moisture through the whole state is also likely helping refill all those reservoirs, groundwater and snowpack for this coming hotter season, also it provides a good flush for the rivers and some help to any native species that might remain.

since the state has also been working on finding places to capture and soak in extra water all of that now helps recharge the groundwater as a deeper savings account and to help restore what has been overpumped in the past. in some places they've pumped so much groundwater that things are settling and cracking (including the canals which transport water so they've lost some capacity until those canals are repaired).

the improvement for overall that is well worth saying thanks for is the further north of CA where the Trinity reservoir is at, they've been struggling the past few years so anything more helps them a great deal.

and then there is the inner continent which is getting help with more moisture from these storms. Utah and Colorado both are doing good so far with their snowpacks and that on the heels of a great year last year means that they will be adding more water storage to their reservoirs and also helping the Great Salt lake get some more extra water in it.

i too think about what messages nature might be giving us with how poorly we're treating it. i'm glad there are some people who will try to help it out, but we need a lot more consideration for the rest of the world we inhabit. so the more people who can help out and reduce their impact the better.

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are you in any danger of the flooding?
If the neighbor to the east of us hadn't done anything to his field we probably would have already been gone. It flooded so bad one year that the water was flowing south to north across our street on the west side of the street and our neighbors yard looked like a small lagoon. Our yard looked like a big creek. So I suppose I should thank him but he's kinda stuck up and rude.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
If the neighbor to the east of us hadn't done anything to his field we probably would have already been gone. It flooded so bad one year that the water was flowing south to north across our street on the west side of the street and our neighbors yard looked like a small lagoon. Our yard looked like a big creek. So I suppose I should thank him but he's kinda stuck up and rude.
Yea. Thank him anyway.