One Alaskans greenhouse

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@akroberts, im sorry for all the adversity but i believe adversity breeds resilience and that makes gardening more rewarding. And, when it doesn’t go our way; we still get experience!

If we all lived in Camelot - - what would we talk about? 🙄

ARTHUR:
It's true! It's true! The crown has made it clear.
The climate must be perfect all the year.
A law was made a distant moon ago here:
July and August cannot be too hot.
And there's a legal limit to the snow here
In Camelot.
The winter is forbidden till December
And exits March the second on the dot.
By order, summer lingers through September
In Camelot.
Camelot! Camelot!
I know it sounds a bit bizarre,
But in Camelot, Camelot
That's how conditions are.
The rain may never fall till after sundown.
By eight, the morning fog must disappear.
In short, there's simply not
A more congenial spot
For happily-ever-aftering than here
In Camelot.
Camelot! Camelot!
I know it gives a person pause,
But in Camelot, Camelot
Those are the legal laws.
The snow may never slush upon the hillside.
By nine p.m. the moonlight must appear.
In short, there's simply not
A more congenial spot
For happily-ever-aftering than here
In Camelot.
Sorry, don't care for the musical. :sick

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Electroculture part 2!

it’ll be 2-3 months before any serious garden efforts take off and all the fly tying, canoe paddle etc projects are behind me so it’s a good time to build the additional antenna’s that will get placed in the spring.
The last time i did this i thought about picture’s but pretty much blew thru all that just being a man who had something to conquer.

This time as i go along i’ll show anyone who’e interested just what i’ve done. This year there will be two additional pole antennas as well as my Buck Rogers special; something guaranteed to draw in low flying space craft.

As lazy as i am and with sore shoulders from all the roof shoveling a couple weeks ago i looked for and found an easier way to wind the copper onto the PVC pipes. After removing the tail stock from my lathe i chucked up one end of the pipe and used a step ladder to hold up the far end. I began by drilling a small hole in the pvc and knotted the copper to retain it. Next it was a simple matter to turn the lathe on and let er rip. My previous antennas have a much looser spiral and i want to see if a closer wrap gives any benefit so each of these have 100ft. of wire on them. So far im happy with the effort and when i get back to them (first of the week) i’ll detail the mounts etc.

@heirloomgal was the brain child who introduced us to this and i’ve only got the one season behind me but was very encouraged at the impact it seemed to have by eliminating slugs and those little black beetles that work on my Strawberries.
This year will (hopefully) firm up my enthusiasm and i’m hoping to discover some new stuff along the way.
If the antennas with more wire read any differently on the Guass meter i’ll probably re-wrap the first 3.

Attachments

• IMG_2220.jpeg
    IMG_2220.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2219.jpeg
    IMG_2219.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2218.jpeg
    IMG_2218.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 21

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Electroculture part 2!

it’ll be 2-3 months before any serious garden efforts take off and all the fly tying, canoe paddle etc projects are behind me so it’s a good time to build the additional antenna’s that will get placed in the spring.
The last time i did this i thought about picture’s but pretty much blew thru all that just being a man who had something to conquer.

This time as i go along i’ll show anyone who’e interested just what i’ve done. This year there will be two additional pole antennas as well as my Buck Rogers special; something guaranteed to draw in low flying space craft.

As lazy as i am and with sore shoulders from all the roof shoveling a couple weeks ago i looked for and found an easier way to wind the copper onto the PVC pipes. After removing the tail stock from my lathe i chucked up one end of the pipe and used a step ladder to hold up the far end. I began by drilling a small hole in the pvc and knotted the copper to retain it. Next it was a simple matter to turn the lathe on and let er rip. My previous antennas have a much looser spiral and i want to see if a closer wrap gives any benefit so each of these have 100ft. of wire on them. So far im happy with the effort and when i get back to them (first of the week) i’ll detail the mounts etc.

@heirloomgal was the brain child who introduced us to this and i’ve only got the one season behind me but was very encouraged at the impact it seemed to have by eliminating slugs and those little black beetles that work on my Strawberries.
This year will (hopefully) firm up my enthusiasm and i’m hoping to discover some new stuff along the way.
If the antennas with more wire read any differently on the Guass meter i’ll probably re-wrap the first 3.
I enjoy it all.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

i can tell you for a fact that it is the copper which is toxic to slugs which they will not like and as for the little black beetles i've found out that making sure to pick all fruits when ripe and not leaving behind any fruits to rot has pretty much eliminated them as pests off my strawberries (when i had enough to even harvest)...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let’s make a deal, i‘ve never gone over onto your content to muddy it up and i’d appreciate the same consideration. Real facts are always welcome, if you have them? Thanks

a reply to a post is muddying it up?

anyways my reply about both copper being toxic and black beetles being an issue and one way that helps reduce them might be useful to someone else so i'm not going to retract them even if they don't apply to you.

i'll now leave you to your own personal thread and not muddy it up any longer, but there is also an ignore feature this website does supply just in case my other posts also annoy you...

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal, does that electroculture work? I have read about it but wasn't sure about it. If it does I may have to give it a shot
I only have one year under my belt, but I definitely think there is something to it. I had great success in 2023 and I attribute a lot of that to the electroculture.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is an article i recently found that sheds light on a question myself and others have wondered about. “What effect does electroculture have on soil microbes”. It appears to be a healthy thing which is a good thing for i dearly love’s me some amebas!
Around here i‘m “low till” oriented, preferring to not disturb the myco’s fungal net work that grows in the soil. “No till” simply won’t work for me because i don’t have enough bed space to let any of it lay dormant.
Anyway, I won’t wear you out with this stuff and am just offering it for anyone who may be interested in this whole process. Like they say “live and learn”.

Last edited:

Latest posts