Pass the scalpel please Igor

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Plan B is coming along nicely. The "forbidden" olive seed is forming true leaves.
jackb

What I hate about those expensive seeds most is that they often have a special trick for germination. NONE of the seed companies give information for the difficult to germinate seeds. How hard would it be for them to include a few special facts? I have tried every seed that has caught my eye and I must say I have cut back on the weird due to germination failure.
So, Jack. Will you get enough olives to make oil in time? Or is this just for the thrill of success at growing things that others can't? Love to read about your progress

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat,
It is the thrill of success. I love a challenge, and it will be several years before this tree has olives. And, it is more of a table olive, known as a breakfast olive. I love olives, but olives for breakfast is a little too far out for me.
jack

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hats off to your success!!

Is there a point when it's no longer beneficial for your germinated plants to stay in the growing medium and be planted to grow in a more traditional sense?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think I understand the question. The plant in the photo is in the final medium that I will grow it in, hydroponically. The only transfers will be to larger containers.
jackb

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When do you decide to move the plant from this growing here....
image.jpg

to here?
image.jpg
Was what I was trying ask. Sorry I wasn't clear before.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is kind of complicated to answer. In the case of the plant in the pot; the clear media in the jar was simply for seed germination, so I moved it as soon as it had a root system that I felt was developed enough to support the plant. The plant in the purple media is in a multiplication media. Hopefully, it will form several plants and at some point I will separate them, and place them in individual jars in a rooting media. Again, when sufficient roots develop the plant will be transferred to pots. At that point, the plants must be acclimated to live outside the high humidity of the jar. For a single plant I place it in a plastic bag, spray the inside of the bag and place it under a grow light. Growing in the high humidity of the jar the stoma on the leaves have not had to function to maintain turgidity, so I open the plastic bag for an increasing amount of time each day for a month to acclimate the plant to a normal environment. After a month the plant can join the other plants in the greenhouse. Hope this answers your question.
jackb

Last edited:

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That cleared things up thank you. I wondered about the overall development and humidity and how it affected the transition.

I'm fascinated by this which is why I'm asking so many questions.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a hard to germinate seed that is finally getting around to growing. It is a Drosera sessilifolia and it has taken 90 days to germinate. Patience is definitely a virtue when it comes to dealing with some seeds, for sure.
jackb