Phaedra's 2021 Garden

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
After the hawk attack, our hens learned the lesson. When crows and magpies screamed again, only the rooster stayed in the run. Hens were all hiding - two even directly went into the coop and stayed inside.
5399.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Harvest Day - the first flush of shiitake mushrooms
190.jpg

192.jpg

Looks super satisfying, isn't it?
191.jpg

After doing some research, I removed the spawn blocks to a shelf for drying out completely, so they could have a nice rest. This resting phase takes 1-2 weeks; then, I will soak them in water for another 24 hours. After that, the second flush will start.

I didn't know this resting phase in the past and always directly soaked the blocks in the water. @digitS' do you let the block rest for some time?

Most Shiitake mushrooms will be consumed during the weekend, and a smaller portion was already dried completely by a dehydrator. I will use the dried ones in the future for making soup or seasoning salt.

263.jpg

271.jpg

272.jpg

273.jpg

We also used the metal wire fence to set up simple protection covering on the chicken run. Today we had our first snow, and it got dark early. We will finish the entire setting tomorrow.

274.jpg

Bravi is doing well outside in the mobile cage. There are some funny interactions with other hens :p
At least she won't get pecked temporarily.
275.jpg

Another lovely thing that arrived today - those photos are 20*20cm, with a pair of thin magnets. So it will be easy to change different photos in the future.
269.jpg

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The pandemic situation in Europe has been quite problematic, especially since Omicron appeared. We originally planned to visit some Christmas markets in the neighboring towns but decided to stay at home.

So, I finalized a few Christmas decorations in the pond-facing room, where I do gardening-related plans, read, write actual letters, and make candles. Today I finished one set of Advent candles for our neighbor.

I didn't expect such early snow, but it arrived yesterday. Therefore, I used some flours on this set, too.
293.jpg

292.jpg

We found a lovely LED light today in the supermarket.
295.jpg

Well, as we better stay at home, making every corner cozier is always worthy.
294.jpg

297.jpg

I've ordered some seeds for growing microgreens but soaked some peas. Adzuki bean, winter wheat, and cat grass mix first. The boiler room should also be ideal for microgreens to sprout.

291.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really love that coffee corner... it gives coffee the veneration it is due. Coffee as not just a beverage, but a lifestyle. ;)

And you've reminded me that I intend to experiment with sprouts from the mung and adzuki I grew this year.

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Time flies. 11 months of this year became part of history.

Bravi is recovering well. As long as it doesn't rain or snow badly, I will let her stay in a mobile cage with the flock. She came into the house for sleep and stayed in the greenhouse when the weather was not friendly. Her wounds were well-sealed, and she started to lay again. It might not be so easy for her to return to the flock, but a nice recovery is already satisfying.

395.jpg

My part-time job also started smoothly, and it's good to add different elements into daily life. I never expected that someday I would be involved with a product development project, and it's about gardening tools. So far, it is a bit more challenging than I thought, but why not?
479(1).jpg

The weather sucks, and I have almost no interest in going outside besides feeding the chickens and collecting eggs. The overall growth in the greenhouse is slow but stable. It's absolutely a pleasure to see those seedlings grow.

485.jpg

488.jpg

482.jpg

Hey, I believe my sweet Osmanthus will thrive next spring - so many new shoots!
481.jpg

"Recycled" scallions from a supermarket
487.jpg

483.jpg

The seeds for growing microgreen arrived today, and I will soak them first.
492.jpg

Hyacinthus is waking up, and the cyclamen starts to blossom. Winter, what a season!
490.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even in winter weather, you still have the miracle of growing a garden. And Bravi is laying! She has thrived under your loving care. Being part of developing new garden tools is so fitting that you are involved with the process.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put this king oyster mushroom block and two shiitake blocks at the same time. Shiitake blocks already gave us the first harvest and entered the resting phase. Then finally, the king oyster one started slowly to fruit.

They look so cute!

View attachment 45937
Perhaps there was a mix up... those look more like barnacles than oysters. :lol:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps there was a mix up... those look more like barnacles than oysters. :lol:

i really enjoy that block starting off, it looks like bread that has a bit of an odd crust. fresh mushrooms are so good and great to have on hand. i wish i had basement space for these kinds of reasons, plus, well, more space for worms :) and crop storage.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The 2nd Advent - I love the simpleness and calmness of this wreath that was done yesterday.
709_0.jpg

Today is also day 21 after the hawk attack.

Bravi keeps laying almost every 1 or 2 days, and her feathers are growing back. The body recovery mechanism is just magical and has its own plan.
25016(1).jpg

As she is laying and re-producing her feather, I keep giving her one portion of scrambled egg on top of the ordinary feed. Now she also shows a strong desire to return her flock, although, in my opinion, she has to stay in the mobile cage maybe for another two weeks. Some hens are still trying to peck her from outside (of the mobile cage) - just a few steps backward from the edge of the cage, none can touch her.
694(1).jpg

Those LED provide additional 1-2 hours lights after sunset, better than nothing
716.jpg

715.jpg

New flower buds of hellebores are developing.
725.jpg

And we finally set up the Christmas tree this afternoon. Next week, we will gradually put the decorations on it.

Momo (the dog beside the Christmas tree) said: Hi everyone!
710.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts