Phaedra's Garden 2022

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think that bleeding hearts would have a chance, overwintered in a pot here. Not much of anything would.

There was a bleeding heart doing just fine on the northside of the house for years until the lady fern and the dang cornflower centaurea squeezed it out! The fern and bleeding heart were always too close together.

I have since taken a much harder attitude as to where the cornflower grows. It isn't gonna squeeze out the heuchera.

Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Weeding is one thing, and foraging for chickens is another.
14064.jpg

I started to "hunt" safe weeds for chicken last week, one or two or three buckets daily.
14059.jpg

At this moment, below weeds are very active in our garden, and they are all safe for chickens.

Cleaver (Galium aparine)
Clover (Trifolium repens)
Couch grass(Elymus repens)
Chickweed (Stellaria media)
Dandelion (Taraxacum)
Goutweed (Aegopodium podagraria)
Purple deadnettle (Lamium purpureum)

14057.jpg

Although I can't free-range them, they still can enjoy juicy, fresh, nutritious spring greens.
14060.jpg

I am learning how to edit videos - it's the first trial.

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The hoop tunnel is almost done, and seedlings gradually move in.
14094.jpg

The space inside is sufficient - besides tomatoes, I can undoubtedly plant some other vegetables.
14095.jpg

After repotting zucchini and pumpkins, I used a deep tray to carry all pots. They will now stay in the hoop tunnel unless there is a frost warning.
14092.jpg

Salat greens, parsley, and onions also moved in today.
14091.jpg

Someone on BYC said it looks like a watermelon. :lol: Well, I agree, so its name is watermelon tunnel from now on.
14112.jpg

So far, I have put a lot of Gladiolus bulbs, potato tubers, and peony roots in the bigger pots. They can be removed anywhere when it is necessary.
14096.jpg

14119.jpg

As long as there is no frost warning, those plants will stay here, kind of hardening off. When there is a frost warning, they will be sent back to the greenhouse.
14120.jpg

A bling-bling watermelon tunnel in the evening 🤣
14123.jpg

After these works, I would start sowing the next batch of flower seeds and pre-sprouting more dahlia tubers.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickeeed is high in vitamin C and makes a good salad green.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Weeding is one thing, and foraging for chickens is another
Phaedra, when I had chickens I gave them dandelions from the lawn.

Wanting them to make the best use of them, I pulled the plants out with a weeding tool, rinsed them off, and put them in a plastic bag.

With just a moment in the microwave, the weeds were tender. The backyard hens ate everything - including the roots.

:) Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Phaedra, when I had chickens I gave them dandelions from the lawn.

Wanting them to make the best use of them, I pulled the plants out with a weeding tool, rinsed them off, and put them in a plastic bag.

With just a moment in the microwave, the weeds were tender. The backyard hens ate everything - including the roots.

:) Steve
I also gave them the entire plant, including the root, and they finished everything except the flowers. During these two years, I realized that chickens love so many greens, and some are out of my imagination, like the willow leaves. It's almost funny to see them trying to get any falling leaves from the willow tree. So, I bought another young willow last week for planting in one of the runs.

Another surprise is the leave from Dahlias. It's nice that both are safe for them.

This year I have found so many chickweeds and plantain - the chickens will have nutritious and delicious spring greens throughout the season. :D

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Next Wednesday, this small area will become the first outdoor coffee corner, with the full bloom of tulips.
1650741424245.jpeg

I also repotted four young grape plants into doubled-sized bags. Last year, I didn't have sufficient time to take good care of them.
14340.jpg

Hopefully, they will do better this year.
14341.jpg

14342.jpg

This year, the sowing is so far quite successful.
14354.jpg

3146.jpg

14356.jpg

14357.jpg

14358.jpg

14359.jpg

Latest posts