Price increases and shortages

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Computer chips fit into an interesting problem, as they are REALLY tied to how China is doing. No just because they make a lot of them but because the rare earth metals we need for them are almost exclusively found and mined there. It's the reason why I have serious doubts that the U.S. (and indeed the Western world) will EVER go on full war with China not matter WHAT they do. They only have to stop exports of the metals, and out ability to wage high-tech war crumbles (and they have too many people and too much military for a low tech war to work out in or favor).
This is very correct. PG. One of my brothers' works for Intel (for over 20 years now) and they are having a heck of a time supplying chips. This has caused slow down in production of autos, appliances, computers, printer, anything with a chip.

He told me if we needed a new computer, to buy it now as its skyrocketing in prices due to the shortages. He has a mother board that is going out, and the price for a new one is three times what he paid for it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The term being used nowadays is Reflation.

"It is important not to confuse reflation with inflation. Firstly, reflation is not bad. It is a period of price increases when an economy is striving to achieve full employment and growth."

"Inflation, on the other hand, is often considered bad as it is characterized by rising prices during a period of full capacity. G.D.H. Cole once said, "reflation may be defined as inflation deliberately undertaken to relieve a depression."
Reflation. Sounds like a BS word to keep the masses from getting restless.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something else that will be in short supply is chicken. I’m raising my own, y’all need to get it while you can. On national news this morning it was said that some chicken themed restaurants close 1 day a week because they can’t get enough chicken to keep the doors open.

I am paying $8 PER BAG MORE for chicken feed this year than I did last year. A lot of the times there isn’t much of it either. I’m glad I got an early start this year.

Chickenma

Sprout
Reaction score
my husband works for a car dealership and it’s the same there. Running out of cars because the new cars are still sitting at the manufacture waiting for the some kind of chips that again are coming from China.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something else that will be in short supply is chicken. I’m raising my own, y’all need to get it while you can. On national news this morning it was said that some chicken themed restaurants close 1 day a week because they can’t get enough chicken to keep the doors open.

I am paying $8 PER BAG MORE for chicken feed this year than I did last year. A lot of the times there isn’t much of it either. I’m glad I got an early start this year.
$8 more? Grain is higher but not near that much.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Anyone else noticing continued shortages? The store was completely out of chocolate chips, orange juice, milk, and chicken legs this week. Stuff that I’ve never really seen run out here pre 2020. Also stuff that used to take 2 weeks or less to ship to my work is now taking months. The worst is uniforms of all things, I’ve been waiting on a new one since February.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anyone else noticing continued shortages? The store was completely out of chocolate chips, orange juice, milk, and chicken legs this week. Stuff that I’ve never really seen run out here pre 2020. Also stuff that used to take 2 weeks or less to ship to my work is now taking months. The worst is uniforms of all things, I’ve been waiting on a new one since February.

strange. no shortage of any of those i've noticed. can't find another uniform supplier?

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have seen so many shortages locally at the stores, and those of us in the grocery business have been warned that there are more shortages and price hikes coming. The cost of beef in my store has doubled this month (beef brisket is now 12.99 a lb), and we've been warned that pork prices will follow, when we can get it. The store's cost for boneless skinless chicken tenders has risen 50%, although that cost hasn't been passed onto the customer...yet. I cannot get anything that is on sale, unless I order it two weeks in advance and pray it comes in dated for after the sale. Once an item goes on sale, the bigger stores in my chain snap up the entire supply and the smaller stores get nothing. Working around it daily I am kind of immune to the shortages, everything just gets a mental shrug and oh well, somebody is sure to be angry at me over this. When I think about how much we actually don't get sent? It's really kind of scary.

I am slowly stocking up on pantry staples here. Money is tight, because I'm also trying to save a down payment for land of my own at the same time. Land around here is usually $13 to 15k per raw acre, and easily goes higher for any improvements. If I am willing to commute an hour plus to work each way I can find run down houses and mobile homes on small acreage in my price range, I'm just not sure I'm ready to commit to staying in Illinois.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Prairie Rose you are on the front lines. You are watching as prices are on track to hit the moon, you are watching as supplies of food don’t show up. Sounds like a lot of bare spots on the shelves are coming.
Land is crazy high everywhere. We bought at the right time, we couldn’t afford to buy our place now! By all means, buy your own land. If you don’t like where you live, vote with your feet and move.

Latest posts