Put in a pond?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They were $30 a fish and were maybe 3" in length. It was a mixed bag of butterfly koi. There is a pond store not to far from me and they have some locally bred as well as imported koi. Some of them are insanely expensive.

Some are expensive because of how rare their patterns are even if they are not as pretty as some cheaper koi they have for sale. Personally I'd rather have better looking fish than really rare ok looking varieties. Im the one one who has to feed them and unless your talking to another hardcore hobbyist it's just a so-so looking fish.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have gotten some very pretty fish from the goldfish feeder tank.Your not supose to pick, but I found if you let them know they not for food they let you. One of my farvite came from feeder tank, its all white white red fins.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have had the same Koi since they where only about 6 inches (and cheap!) I would not want to replace them with fish the size they are now! $$$
misc 013.JPG

Last edited:

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I waited and waited for 'somebody' to get all excited about helping me put in the pond, :rolleyes: The only help I have been able to muster is Dh said 'Don't hurt yourself' :eek:
I'm letting that comment slide though ... Dh has been working lots of OT all summer, apparently the recession in the steel industry is over.

So, last week, I dug a hole, gathered up some rocks that I had lining some gardens (I've been wanting to replace these with something easier to trim around) ... and Ta Da ... (@Jeni Ann, sure wish you were here! :))

Picture 13318.jpg

Picture 13336.jpg

My plans for the rest of the area ... where the boards are there will be a 10' by 12' patio, and of course some garden. I bought a 4 person steel swing last year on craigslist from a nice young man. He had made the swing several years ago with his dad and had no place to put it, and was going to have to scrap it if it didn't sell. Yesterday I finished sanding the top of it and will finish priming and paint IF it ever stops raining! This will go on the patio ...

Picture 13216.jpg

I am already addicted to the sound of trickling water in the yard and can't wait to try some water plants next year. Thanks for all your encouragement, pics and helpful suggestions! Anyone want to help build a patio? :D

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Lavender2 the pond looks great. I am so glad you put on in. After the rock moving the patio should be a breeze. I LOVE the swing! My childhood gas station had one in the side yard between the business and the house. Us kids could spend hours on it. Nice find. ENJOY.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Lavender2 the pond looks great. I am so glad you put on in. After the rock moving the patio should be a breeze. I LOVE the swing! My childhood gas station had one in the side yard between the business and the house. Us kids could spend hours on it. Nice find. ENJOY.

Thanks Carol. My mind started wandering into putting in a larger in-ground pond, and I reminded myself of the upkeep of the pool, it might be a good thing my boys didn't show up with shovels!:D

I was SO excited to find that swing! I was ready to offer him less than what he was asking ($150), but when Dh saw how well it was made he said to pay what he was asking. Luckily my son has a car trailer and friends with muscle, it weighs about 750 pounds. I love it and I'm glad we will have a place to put it where it doesn't have to be trimmed around and we will use it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
750 pounds...wow. I guess you probably won't be rearranging your patio furniture too often! It was a steal at that price. Those cheapie regular lawn swings cost at least that much.

Latest posts