Put in a pond?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful job with the pond, @Lavender2! Keep it simple is a good rule unless you have plenty of help -- not for the building, but for the year after year maintenance.

Got to love the sound of falling water! It will attract more types of birds than those who will visit still water. Add a few lights nearby and you can watch the birds by day and the insects and bats by night. I love watching bats swoop down for food or a drink. They are one of the best gardening friends you can find as long as they stay OUTSIDE the house.

That size pond wouldn't take more than one water lily -- I know there are several hardy varieties, but I bring mine inside for the winter -- but dwarf papyrus or dwarf cattails add nice accents to the edges and I have a curly reed that also looks nice even if it has never flowered. There are so many choices today, even for our cooler climate.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lavender, you did that all :epby yourself? I am so impressed! I can't even change a light bulb. :th

Mary
Thanks Mary. It probably looks like more work than it actually was (I can say that now :rolleyes:) The area was already cleared, the sand is where the pool had been. The river rock was already there from the drain tile we had to install around the pool. It was not very fun digging out about a foot of packed soil to sink the pond down a bit and level it. I almost threw in the towel about the tenth time I had to pull the pond up, again.

You could do it, Mary. I can tell you have determination when you want things done and you run out of patience. ;)

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Beautiful job with the pond, @Lavender2! Keep it simple is a good rule unless you have plenty of help -- not for the building, but for the year after year maintenance.

Got to love the sound of falling water! It will attract more types of birds than those who will visit still water. Add a few lights nearby and you can watch the birds by day and the insects and bats by night. I love watching bats swoop down for food or a drink. They are one of the best gardening friends you can find as long as they stay OUTSIDE the house.

That size pond wouldn't take more than one water lily -- I know there are several hardy varieties, but I bring mine inside for the winter -- but dwarf papyrus or dwarf cattails add nice accents to the edges and I have a curly reed that also looks nice even if it has never flowered. There are so many choices today, even for our cooler climate.

Thank you @Smart Red. I have already realized I would like it lit up at night... thanks for reminding me, time to drop some birthday hints to the kids. ;)
Taking notes on pond plants!:caf

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lavender, I rely on my husband so much and I probably should be a little more independant. As much as I see him work on projects and I help him, I just don't have the confidence to do something right. I was proud that I was able to lay the flagstone path by my raspberry plants. I think he only had to adjust a couple. :hide

Mary

Jeni Ann

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lavender, I love your pond. Good job:clap
... and the swing! Good deal on the swing;).
I wish I was there, too!!! I just love any project that has rocks in it!:love

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lavender, I rely on my husband so much and I probably should be a little more independant. As much as I see him work on projects and I help him, I just don't have the confidence to do something right. I was proud that I was able to lay the flagstone path by my raspberry plants. I think he only had to adjust a couple. :hide

Mary
Oh heck, if you can lay a flagstone path you can do almost anything! I always figure, if I screw it up I will be the one to fix it anyway. :rolleyes:

I have figured out the system here... if you want it done within two years just do it yourself. Dh is a real sweetie, the kind of guy that would give you his last quarter. He hates not being able to help more, works 10 hour days with a 40 minute commute, and also does a lot of union business as the pres of the local. I try not to ask for help unless I really really need it, especially for my crazy yard projects.

Latest posts