Ready, Set ... Winter!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night it got down to 30* and the wind was howeling at 40 + mph or more ? This morning at first light, I looked out the back window and saw that the wind had knocked down a 16 ft section of the back wooden fence. Going out to see the damage, I noticed that another section was loose and getting ready to fall down. It is still much too windy to even attempt to stand up the fence today and predicted to get worse in a couple housrs,with more below freezing temps, more wind and add rain and sleat to the mix for the next few days, so I will have to wait . :barnie

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
At 5:00 am this morning the Ch 2 weathergal warned everyone in earshot of Portland, Or. ( our area) that it will be raining with sleet and SNOW before 7 : 00 am,with strong winds and temperatures below 30* with wind chill to the low to mid 20's, so dress accordingly. The area schools aired a TV stream the there will be a 2 hour delay for classes. The snow plows are fueling up and putting on chains on their tires then they will be out defrosting the roads. Don't drive unless you absolutely have to. THE SKY IS FALLING ... THE SKY IS FALLING ! :oops: :oops: Well ... here it is 9 AM , 37 *, gentle breeze, NO dew, NO rain, NO sleet, NO snow ... only the usual overcast high clouds with nary a drop of moisture of any kind . :th Still NO kids walking to school in sight ! I guess that they are still in their jammies watching cartoons. :hu

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
@lesa - Elephant ear question. Mine are starting to get damage from the cold nights. Do I wait for the leaves to die back (which will be after this weekend's COLD snap) or do I cut the leaves off and dig them up now?????
Sorry, I didn't see this...You can dig them up anytime and just cut the leaves off, before storing. If the leaves are dead that is fine too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm , your snow went on to Prineville where it has warmed to 21°f with continued warming forecast until it begins to rain on the 2" to 4" of snow falling today.

Another inch of snow is forecast on top of that snow and rainwater then the bottom will drop out of the thermometer with 10° Friday night. No thawing and 3° Saturday night.

I'll tell you what, there'd better not be any drinking goin' on at the road house in Prineville Friday and Saturday nights! And, all that nasty weather can stay down there in Oregon.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Time for me to join in the fun...about an inch on the ground right now! Ugh...

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Was out in my PJ's this AM... it was chilly, and I wouldn't have wanted to stay out there long, but not COLD yet.
Guess it's still on it's way here... :-(

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I spent the last two days on a new jobsite in Morgantown. It's new construction, on a windy hill, in an, as yet, unheated building with many windows still out. Temps were in the 30's and the wind was whistling through the place. I'll be there again next week...temps in the teens to low 20's. I feel sorry for the brick layers outside. It's bitter cold inside, but there is at least some shelter from the wind. They are on scaffolding, fully exposed. It's not so bad if you are working and moving around a lot. But, my job often requires standing in one place for long periods of time, terminating wires.
Yesterday I learned that we have a camera job coming up...outside. It's still not been determined if I am highlining fiber optic cable (I think there was a picture posted of me up a pole doing that sort of thing). I hate climbing when it's that cold :(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@MontyJ , just trying to be helpful. This wasn't the worst be far but the even numbers a day or so ago, kind of appealed to me:
(°F)__chill_wind (mph)
20____4___20G30

It's 12° right now with calm winds so it's ... 12° wind chill ...

I used to pretend to be confused and aggravated with the reporting on wind chill. I still don't carry the formula around in my head. Just ignore that caveman thinking. All these things are just marks on a measure ... but wind chill is real.

Dress like you know you should.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, yesterday about noon we had a few snow flurries, then about 12:30 to 2:30 light snow dusting, temperature dropped like a rock. Most of the snow melted by 5:eek:o as the wind slowed down and the temperature started to climb. This morning the remains of the melting snow had frozen so looked like light powdered sugar in shady places . 34* this morning at 6:45 and expected to be 43* this afternoon. However, today, most of the schools have either a 2 hour delay or CLOSED due to black ice on shaded hills and overpasses. With nothing to do and mom and dad at work, the kidos will be running around in the " snow " in their jammies or "T" shirts and shorts . :confused:

Latest posts