Rhubarb

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is a great thread! Finally back up in the PNW and I can grow this favorite of mine again! I just couldn't keep it alive in tx with the drought and heat. Yay for rhubarb! :)

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information.
@SweetMissDaisy where in Texas were you? It hasn't gotten really hot yet. Hopefully they'll live.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a nursery 18 miles from my house and they offer rhubarb. If they can grow it, don't see why I can't. I live north of Tyler Texas. Since it is a permanent plant, waiting until we get settled in better. Only been here since mid February and barely got a garden in. But rhubarb is on the list!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't let me discourage you, but unless that nursery grows their own stock it doesn't necessarily mean they sell plants that will grow in the area. They order stock in from other states.
Some people grow it as an annual.

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was curious because I'm in El Paso. I water 3 times a day. The person that gave the rhubarb to me grows it next to her porch. I put two in two separate large planters. Those are the one's thriving. The one I planted in the ground isn't really growing.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had first rhubarb crisp last night. Oh so good although had to use flour instead of corn starch for thickener-didn't work as well

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I generously add chicken poop during the fall and winter, over the roots. By spring it's all composted down, and the stalks grow huge, and produce all spring and into the summer. You'd swear it was Gunnera..lol
A popular local garden expert and lecturer, Dez Kennedy, said his secret was to regularly water his rhubarb with a mixture of his urine and water. Obviously these plants love nitrogen..
15-GiantRhubarb.jpg