Rhubarb

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I generously add chicken poop during the fall and winter, over the roots. By spring it's all composted down, and the stalks grow huge, and produce all spring and into the summer. You'd swear it was Gunnera..lol
A popular local garden expert and lecturer, Dez Kennedy, said his secret was to regularly water his rhubarb with a mixture of his urine and water. Obviously these plants love nitrogen..
15-GiantRhubarb.jpg
WOW, those sure look different from mine?!?! I should take a pic for comparison.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had first rhubarb crisp last night. Oh so good although had to use flour instead of corn starch for thickener-didn't work as well
When making pie I usually use a bit of instant tapioca instead of flour. (Slightly less than the usual flour amount.) Sets up nice and clear not cloudy.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
When making pie I usually use a bit of instant tapioca instead of flour. (Slightly less than the usual flour amount.) Sets up nice and clear not cloudy.
Although none of that either. Too big of a hurry to go to store

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
While I love the paring of spring strawberries and fresh rhubarb, I grow a variety of rhubarb known as strawberry rhubarb. This rhubarb has more red in its stem and is a bit less sour than the other varieties of rhubarb I grow. The other varieties have various coloration from mostly green to green with red to red with green to all red.

Would a pie made from "strawberry" rhubarb be called a strawberry rhubarb pie?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have both strawberry rhubarb and regular green/red rhubarb.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have rhubarb varieties of Strawberry, Valentine, Canada Red, Crimson Cherry, and Mother-in-law's special (probably Victoria). For some reason MIL's always bolts first thing in the spring. I've already removed nearly a dozen tiny flower stalks. I should be harvesting some this week.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
No idea what mine is as they were here when I bought the place.