Santa delivered, can You?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought olde age but you are young and talking about younger still!

Epley? So that's what it is called. I tried that on the edge of the bed but it made me so dizzy I thought I might just fall off as I shifted positions.

The commitment to winter walking started, I guess, 4 years ago when I would stand up after sitting for 90 minutes or so and I'd walk about 20'. Dizzy! As long as I was active, including that walking, I didn't have those problems. But you see, it was with those long minutes sitting.

This was a little different. I was dizzy before I ever left the bed, some mornings. Whoa ... I really didn't know vertical from horizontal!

I never gave up on the walking and even challenged myself with some uphill but it was always 30 minutes. Too much sitting. Too much respiratory distress, maybe especially with one ear. Way too little activity. Shucks, I can't imagine how people in hospital beds or wheelchairs can survive for long.

Work can be tiring, even painful. Some exercise is just too dang boring but it's best if not painful, right?

Steve

our motto is "if you don't move you rust" and while it may hurt at times i still have to do it because if i don't it hurts even worse. my left knee, if i don't walk, will start aching, but walking must grind off whatever it is that aches or numbs it or something. same with my back. if i don't get enough exercise it will hurt worse. now is sneezing season and if i sneeze wrong i can put my back out. sure enough the other day. so i'm hurting for a while until something else comes up which hurts more.

figure that the few days when something doesn't hurt are gifts. i do appreciate them when they happen. between old work injuries (as a teen) and motorcycle wipe out and a few other things it's just how it goes. none of it is bad enough that it keeps me from sleeping but it is pretty much always there.

today is sunny and not too much wind, we may get out for a walk up and down the road. been only able to go a few miles because Mom's knees are so bad but she still wants to go. trying to work back up the three miles. not sure we're going to get there.

no matter what i'm glad you're still with us @digitS' even if you are grumbly and hurting at least you can talk about gardening and doing things and daydreams or just stories. :) i like stories. :) :) :)

p.s. i get bad vertigo too at times. not this past year as much thank goodness, but i was having a lot of troubles with my ears and was doing various things to try to get them to stop itching so bad. then in my reading i found out that if you are doing things with water/oils the temperature has to be very very close to what your body is at or it might set off vertigo or mess with the inner ear. so i've stopped doing all of that and just hit my ears once in a while with Q-tip and hydrocortizone cream and that at least keeps me from wanting to get the drill and wire brush out to itch my ear canals. all i can figure out is that i'm allergic to my own ear wax because nothing in any medical article has made a difference for long. not into antibiotics, but did try h2o2 solutions, alcohols, tea tree oils/lotions, etc. for several months and nothing made a difference. within a week or two of stopping using them it would all come back and hasn't changed since, but at least the hydrocortizone cream keeps me from wanting to chew my ears off/out.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe dog walking is what keeps my father going. Not only is it excise but he has friends he talks to at every walk. The dog warden and him have come to a understanding. Judge dismissed case so she looks other way about no leash.
You are so right. Having some type of social contact/community is very important for older people.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe dog walking is what keeps my father going. Not only is it excise but he has friends he talks to at every walk. The dog warden and him have come to a understanding. Judge dismissed case so she looks other way about no leash.

i think that is one of the main reasons people who have pets/dogs tend to live longer. because they have to get out and walk and be more social.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know how I missed this thread. I was sick 2 weeks before Christmas and around Feb. I had another blood clot and put on a blood thinner. I was surprised how I held up planting the garden. I started walking some and stopped when all the fires and smoke was going on. I am on a baby aspirin. I bought a book The Blood Thinner Cure by Kenneth Kersey , MD It is a plan for preventing heart attacks and strokes. I think my blood clotting was caused by infection. Infection and inflammation can cause your blood to be like sludge. I should start walking. I do try to move ore and go to Walmart or somewhere and keep moving. Another is to drink a lot of water and never be dehydrated. Being in a cold room, being dehydrated, sitting too much are some of the worst combinations for thick blood, so this year I have been keeping a fire going all the time. I am doing something different, and not sure what it is. It might be Moringa powder, but for some reason I am not freezing cold like I usually am. Oh and stress can cause thick blood. I was a walking disaster last year. I lost a little bit of weight and trying to come up with better idea for exercise.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know how I missed this thread. I was sick 2 weeks before Christmas and around Feb. I had another blood clot and put on a blood thinner. I was surprised how I held up planting the garden. I started walking some and stopped when all the fires and smoke was going on. I am on a baby aspirin. I bought a book The Blood Thinner Cure by Kenneth Kersey , MD It is a plan for preventing heart attacks and strokes. I think my blood clotting was caused by infection. Infection and inflammation can cause your blood to be like sludge. I should start walking. I do try to move ore and go to Walmart or somewhere and keep moving. Another is to drink a lot of water and never be dehydrated. Being in a cold room, being dehydrated, sitting too much are some of the worst combinations for thick blood, so this year I have been keeping a fire going all the time. I am doing something different, and not sure what it is. It might be Moringa powder, but for some reason I am not freezing cold like I usually am. Oh and stress can cause thick blood. I was a walking disaster last year. I lost a little bit of weight and trying to come up with better idea for exercise.
Walking and then progressing to brisk walking is a great way to start. Do this until you feel good doing it. Then I would do a few squats a day holding on to the back of a chair or kitchen counter. Just go down what feels comfortable for you. Pick up a can of something and raise it over your head extending your arm. Do maybe 5 on each arm to start. Take baby steps and do more when you feel you can.

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Walking and then progressing to brisk walking is a great way to start. Do this until you feel good doing it. Then I would do a few squats a day holding on to the back of a chair or kitchen counter. Just go down what feels comfortable for you. Pick up a can of something and raise it over your head extending your arm. Do maybe 5 on each arm to start. Take baby steps and do more when you feel you can.

Mary

I also had a fluid around my lung from that blood clot. They said it would just go away, but it has been months and then yesterday I realized I think it is gone. I would only feel this fluid feeling when I first got up in the morning like maybe the fluid settled somewhere and I am not even sure that’s the same fluid, but whatever it is it is gone. The only thing I am really doing different is moringa powder. I am taking lots of vitamins and doing whatever I can to be active and be happy and not stressing over things, but I think walking would benefit me the most and went to Walmart with long legged DS, and so I walk faster than normal and feels good, but between my shoulders I can feel I am weak, so I do need some arm exercises. It would be nice to be in great shape this spring to plant and work outside.