Santa delivered, can You?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just did the math smoking 2 packs a day comes out to $780 a month. My cigarettes are about $13 a pack.
Great savings, you can stay off cigarettes it tough at first, but gets easier everyday to say no. May 14 will be 6 yrs for me, best thing I have ever done myself. I gained 40# in like 3 months after quiting and still struggle to lose any weight at all. It is still 100 times better than the two pack a day I was smoking. When I first quit and still sometimes I find myself standing in kitchen looking in the cabinets for something to eat, even though I am not hungry. That is the next fight I am facing lol. Do what ever you need to do to stay off the coffin nails, you be surprised how quickly your lungs heal and your breathing, and sense of smell, and overall well being improve.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for you Nyboy! Just take one day at a time. Improving your health is the best thing you can do. You will feel better and look better too. Eventually you'll get there.

I got 9.5 hours sleep last night. :hide My workout was hard and I was tired.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Such nice weather on most of the days or at least a half day, if I have a chance to get out. I often miss my chance and that leaves me trying to get some exercise indoors while it's raining or we have 40mph winds, outside.

I can't just walk indoors and get my heart rate up above 100, where it is supposed to be. Outdoors, I can pick up enuf speed (& it ain't very fast). Indoors, if I try to walk that fast, I am too much at risk of a stumble! The track isn't bad but this stumble bum can't risk any speed.

That leaves me doing the arm exercises I mentioned in 2017. Good for me ... not a bad thing ;). Varied, they probably are of real help to the shoulders. And varied, I can do more - without doing more than is necessary for cardio ;).

Yeah, that's what I discovered recently.
  1. Overhead Wave
  2. Touchdown
  3. Row
  4. Give Me
See, I have my own name for them and I use all 4 on every circuit of the track. The wave takes the most effort. I guess I could do it the least and hit that 105 beats/minute. I sure wouldn't want to do it every third step, as I'm doing with the four. Shoot! I'm not in Olympic training.

And, that is a thought I'm trying to encourage, if I may be so bold ;). This 30 minutes of cardio exercise isn't tuff. Indoors, it's boring and silly. I wish I could just walk around but the health care professionals wouldn't see it as "exercise" and, honestly, it would still be boring ;).

Probably, if I just did the Give Me every 3rd step I couldn't get the exercise gold star, either. But look, I'm not doing 30 minutes of Jumping Jacks!

Uh oh! It's clouding up! What's that mean?? I'd better get out for a walk on the sidewalks before I'm stuck in here between 4 walls.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Such nice weather on most of the days or at least a half day, if I have a chance to get out. I often miss my chance and that leaves me trying to get some exercise indoors while it's raining or we have 40mph winds, outside.

I can't just walk indoors and get my heart rate up above 100, where it is supposed to be. Outdoors, I can pick up enuf speed (& it ain't very fast). Indoors, if I try to walk that fast, I am too much at risk of a stumble! The track isn't bad but this stumble bum can't risk any speed.
And, that is a thought I'm trying to encourage, if I may be so bold ;). This 30 minutes of cardio exercise isn't tuff. Indoors, it's boring and silly. I wish I could just walk around but the health care professionals wouldn't see it as "exercise" and, honestly, it would still be boring ;).

Probably, if I just did the Give Me every 3rd step I couldn't get the exercise gold star, either. But look, I'm not doing 30 minutes of Jumping Jacks!

Uh oh! It's clouding up! What's that mean?? I'd better get out for a walk on the sidewalks before I'm stuck in here between 4 walls.

Steve

i did some stairs today. i'm out of shape compared to how it used to go. could run up stairs two or three at a time. was huffing pretty good by the time i got to the 4th floor.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stairs are tuff!

I show up in a building where I can walk up 4 flights of stairs. Killer! And, something not so great was that I did it a good deal under 30 minutes and had to poopsy doodle around on the level for about half the time to use up the minutes.

The last time I decided to use that location for exercise, I started at the bottom of their parking garage. Four flights there, too! But ... I used the ramp ... Much better :). Took more time and that's just fine. I might have been embarrassed meeting someone driving a car but I didn't.

Steve

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
The idea about sharing this occurred to me reading @Nyboy 's thread on what we carry out of the house. I decided to carry this idea over here.

A guy writing about his weight this week said something about being too heavy, weighing 220#. He said that he didn't have enough a** to hold up his pants. The thinking must be that more is needed.

Perhaps he is just confusing fore and aft ...

Steve

I think~ he's saying ~ he's built like an avocado ~ with skinny arse and legs```

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That, my friends, is a lot of Advil and soaking in the Jacuzzi just so I could get up and do it again!
You can learn a lot about someone by looking around their garden :). @rainey is a hard worker!

I need to restock the Epsom salts! Well, since winter and indoor dry air is taking it's toll on my skin - Aveeno bath treatments. Yes! And, a beer ...

I learned that Miranda is back on. Yesterday, I was ready for some stretching. This was such an important part of my regular routine for such a long time. Before Miranda Esmonde-White on tv, it was Joanie Greggains. And, I'm more than ready.

So stiff this year! The 20-some minutes was about all I could take. I did go for a walk in the afternoon ... in a mall. Almost felt like I'd be approached by security - "Hey! You don't look like a shopper!" Man, I was blasted by rain and hail going in and out of that place! Today, the weather may be even worse!

The cardio has been going on daily. Stretching needs to be done! The library is getting a Miranda DVD to a closer branch for me but I know how I am with those things --- too willing to click pause, while I make myself a cup of tea. Click pause to check that news story I'm following. Click off, for a later time that just never comes!

I might have thought that the simple arm exercises while walking would help me with stiff shoulders and it does, somewhat. Not enuf, obviously. Oh, and I wasn't doing those at the mall .. ;). The cane helps. No, it's not part of my drum major routine ... looking at the floor doesn't help much with posture and without the cane, I'm floor-focused. Stride Steve, Stride!

Oh boy ... maybe I should go outside and run the snow shovel.

:) Steve

Latest posts