Santa delivered, can You?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, look what I found from this day in history, 1920 - Curt Swan was born and went on to create the comic book Superman!

Superman.JPG
Ha! Good thing I can't draw :D.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sometimes Mary, her 5:30am program is a bit too late for me.

That would only be a summertime problem :). I was just commenting to DD that I'm indoors 23 hours out of 24 but, the last few days, every time I go outside the weather gets real bad, real fast!

Still, even with all that leisure time, I will look for excuses to not exercise. Enforcement, even if it's just by the clock, helps. I wouldn't be very happy as a citizen of Sparta (and they would probably run me out of Athens ;)).

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well Athens would suffer a loss without you!

I can't imagine being indoors 23 hours out of 24! What do you do all day?

Mary

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you, Mary :).

Take a look at our weather up here on your favorite weather news source. It's terrible!

There was a 19 vehicle pile up on i90 heading towards Seattle this afternoon. The bridge over Lake Washington is expected to be closed because of high winds tomorrow. Closer to home ... 1 hour winds of 63mph on the Palouse. About a half inch of rain/snow precipitation on our 7" of recent snow and now, we may have no temperature above freezing for all of next week. Can I spell I.C.E ! Somewhere during the week, there will be a morning or two in the single digitS'. Wow, I trust that we won't have anything like these winds!

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you, Mary :).

Take a look at our weather up here on your favorite weather news source. It's terrible!

There was a 19 vehicle pile up on i90 heading towards Seattle this afternoon. The bridge over Lake Washington is expected to be closed because of high winds tomorrow. Closer to home ... 1 hour winds of 63mph on the Palouse. About a half inch of rain/snow precipitation on our 7" of recent snow and now, we may have no temperature above freezing for all of next week. Can I spell I.C.E ! Somewhere during the week, there will be a morning or two in the single digitS'. Wow, I trust that we won't have anything like these winds!

Steve
Yes the weather has taken a bad turn around here, we went out this morning to post falls, and our roads down here were nearly not passable on our way home ,no plows had been out and about 7” of extremely wet and heavy snow. Made it all the way home then got stuck in driveway lol. Was able to plow the driveway so if it freezes it will be smooth and clear. I was hoping we had saw the last of the bad weather, but we got another blast of it. Oh well

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Struggling through the minor surgery in November, bad colds in December and again in January, fighting off another in February ... I better not make a joke about being in a vegetative state coming out of winter ...

My frequent habit is to struggle outta bed about 3:30 and wrap myself in a blanket, cushioned with pillows here in the lazy boy while the house warms. By 5, I will have had breakfast and will be dozing off with my 2nd cup of hot tea, beside the chair. Maybe sometime around 9, I will "get on with life!"

Vertigo showed up with spring. I think that it was related to the respiratory infections involving the ears but the sedentary lifestyle I assumed for the winter did nothing to prevent it! Oh, I got those 30 minutes of daily walking, here or there. Noticed how much effort it took when I felt particularly bad because of the colds or just the length of time passing ... outside those 30 minutes in every 24 hours.

Tearing apart and rehabbing the fence helped. Wire brushes and many fence boards, wow. It was more purposeful and took more time altho the weather restricted the work a good deal.

Now, I'm in greenhouse mode. At some point there will be a good bunch of flats to move around the yard, on and off of sawhorses, in and out of hoopies - as I try to harden the plants off for the open garden. Stretching! Yes.

I can do without the rototiller and shovel work in the garden. Running the spading fork is different and might even count as good exercise. Oh, even with the tractor guy, I suspect that there will be a fair amount of the back-breaking moving of dirt with a shovel and bone-jarring rototilling. I'd prefer just walking around out there ;), exercising my feet.

Maaayybee, I can gather my strength for those tasks. I got past about 10 mornings of vertigo but haven't been sure of the difference between vertical and horizontal long enuf to rest on that accomplishment.

Let me finish the last sips of this tea and stretch out here a few minutes ... zzz zzz zzzzzzz.
digitS'

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, hate to hear about your vertigo. I get it about once a year and it's awful. Dramamine seems to help very little. When I was younger I had a prescription which had the Dramamine drug and it worked like a charm! I guess our bodies change and now it doesn't work so well. The Epley manuevers help to shorten the length of time to around 3-4 days for me. But those are awful to do too. I mean who wants to be moving with vertigo!

Glad you're over it.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whatever you do Steve, don't stop moving!

My FIL had a stroke nearly 30 years ago, and part of his new regime included walking. He'd go at least a couple of miles a day. As he got older the walks got shorter but he was still taking them daily around the neighborhood. He started getting wobbly and used a walker, then stopped altogether because he feared falling.
It was shocking how rapidly he declined. Within months he was in a wheelchair. His thumb is the only thing that exercises now when he uses the remote. He is so weak he can barely care for himself. I know sometimes there's no way to stay mobile on your feet, but I wish somebody in the family would encourage he and my MIL to do something. Even seated they could be improving their strength and not miss a minute of the idiot box.
We aren't available, living 1200 miles away, but all the rest of dh's family is within 10 minutes of them. Surely between the 4 ( plus spouses and adult grandchildren, so at least 12 people) of them they could arrange a daily visit and mild exercise....sorry, it just frustrates me a bit.

I am impressed with your determination Steve, just keep going as long as possible!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought olde age but you are young and talking about younger still!

Epley? So that's what it is called. I tried that on the edge of the bed but it made me so dizzy I thought I might just fall off as I shifted positions.

The commitment to winter walking started, I guess, 4 years ago when I would stand up after sitting for 90 minutes or so and I'd walk about 20'. Dizzy! As long as I was active, including that walking, I didn't have those problems. But you see, it was with those long minutes sitting.

This was a little different. I was dizzy before I ever left the bed, some mornings. Whoa ... I really didn't know vertical from horizontal!

I never gave up on the walking and even challenged myself with some uphill but it was always 30 minutes. Too much sitting. Too much respiratory distress, maybe especially with one ear. Way too little activity. Shucks, I can't imagine how people in hospital beds or wheelchairs can survive for long.

Work can be tiring, even painful. Some exercise is just too dang boring but it's best if not painful, right?

Steve

Latest posts