Santa Delivered

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been baking all day. Two loaves of French bread, a batch of peanut butter cookies and a whole recipe of Mrs. Fields chocolate chip cookies, which makes about 12 dozen. :eek:

Another good exercise is pushups against a kitchen counter. You can get as close or far from the counter as you need to.

So I did this, but had to do them close to the counter. How else could I grab a cookie with my teeth? Good thinking Mary!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been baking all day. Two loaves of French bread, a batch of peanut butter cookies and a whole recipe of Mrs. Fields chocolate chip cookies, which makes about 12 dozen. :eek:

So I did this, but had to do them close to the counter. How else could I grab a cookie with my teeth? Good thinking Mary!
:gigWish I had your wit! Hope you grabbed one for me!
Mary

Aren't you supposed to be on a diet or something?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah! Watched the whole thing; does that count, GWR ;)? Sixteen minutes -- I doubt if I could double that without nearing collapse!

My legs are not strong to start with, Mary. That's why I'm trying to keep extra weight off them.

I could say that I do not have "nerve one" in my legs. But, that would mostly apply to my left leg and we all must have multiple nerves into every part of our body. I've got nerve #1. Very many more than that - I don't got ..;) One thing I have for sure: terrible balance.

Pretending that there are no nerves/no muscles will just guarantee that there are none when I need them. Yep. One needs to use 'em, or lose 'em.

There's the cardiovascular. Preeminent, Number One, Leading Cause, Numero Uno, Frontrunner (so to speak ;)), you know. So, weight off, maybe strengthen legs, and tune the ticker :). Then there are the sundry, psychological/emotional benefits, etc.

I brought a cooler into the utility room and used that for the squats so I didn't have to get onto the floor. I may not be able to continue that but there are the stools - a little lower. Substituted out one half the arm exercises with 3 of those easy squats. Once the pulse went over 110, I figured I'd better drop it to 2 squats. Checked repeatedly and the pulse averaged 105 over the 30 minutes. I might have to call it something other than the Indoor Mile because I didn't tread that many feet of the floor.

At the rate they were going, the people on that tape might have covered 5,280 feet in 16 minutes - and that must have been the thinking behind "1 Mile Express."

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, you don't have to squat all the way down if you can't. I tell my mom to just stand up and sit down on her chair repeatedly through the day. Doing sets of 10. You can even hold on to the table for balance. Just make sure you are not flopping down and not getting the most out of the exercise.

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah! Watched the whole thing; does that count, GWR ;)? Sixteen minutes -- I doubt if I could double that without nearing collapse!

My legs kept up, but my arms got tired. I have done this tape and others a few years ago and even then my arms were weak. And, let's just say I USED TO BE ABLE TO DO SQUATS WITH A BARBELL. I am going to have to go slow with the weights.

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
:ep:bow:thThat is great! I am not sure what I can do now. It has been a year. I will try 10 and not sure what weights. DS said he feels he better start exercising. He feels out of shape with all the snow and not going out much, so he just lifted some weights. I just did my walking with a video.
You're being active by walking and that's what counts. Start out light with weights for a week. After that you can go up by 5-10lbs. It takes time, like a couple months, to build up your strength and endurance. I'm so glad your son is getting interested in exercising too. You will feel better not only physically but psychologically. In a few months you will see and feel the difference. You will be able to do little things that you haven't been able to before. Just keep plugging away!

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fatigue is one symptom of an overworked immune system. Chicken pox just can't be a short term thing.

It's kind of funny to think about good muscle tone helping with fatigue but I think it just has to be true.

I'm talking through my hat but the rheumatoid arthritis flareups were such a big part of my existence years ago. I guess that it was a good thing that they were most serious when I was young.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fatigue is one symptom of an overworked immune system. Chicken pox just can't be a short term thing.

It's kind of funny to think about good muscle tone helping with fatigue but I think it just has to be true.

I'm talking through my hat but the rheumatoid arthritis flareups were such a big part of my existence years ago. I guess that it was a good thing that they were most serious when I was young.

Steve
What do you think made the difference in your rheumatoid arthritis? Exercize?

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It isn't called "remission" I don't believe but some (lucky) people have less RA problems at different times of their lives. My most serious problems were in my late 20's but I had undiagnosed problems with skin rashes and joint pain even when my age was in the single digitS'! You probably don't remember but doctors made "house calls" at one time, yep ;). I was about 8 years old and I couldn't seem to turn over in bed and the doctor was called. I was so sore. Mom was carrying me from one warm, sunny window to another then, and a few other times.

Through high school, several times I had problems just walking. I was better in a few days but the orthopedic surgeon said x-rays of my hip joints showed signs of "erosion." At 18, my skin rashes were so bad that I thought I'd have scarring but that was just the beginning of that worry. The MD prescribed 2 medicines to put on each day and I wrapped my legs in what we then called "Saran wrap." What the dermatologist called "psoriasis-like rashes" subsided for the most part, about 25 years later. By that time, I'd been diagnosed with RA and had been seeing a rheumatologist.

I know I've related this before: I had a regular day off from work. It was a blue-sky day like this one but very cold. Snow and slush had frozen everywhere. The joints in my feet were soooo sore ... but I thought that walking to a nearby store for a newspaper would help them. I lived where that store was only about 5 blocks away. I headed out and got about half way ... I was very seriously thinking about "crippling" up to someone's front door and asking them to call me a taxi! Walking on the rough ice was excruciating! I didn't know what to do - try to get back home, ask a neighbor for help, try to walk to the store.

I decided that since there were all these houses on those blocks, I could rely on a neighbor being home anywhere along the line and I'd just try to continue to the store. I could have a taxi called from there. I didn't need it! By the time I got home, my feet were better. It was just one of the many times in my young adult life when I worked through the pain and the pain was better as a result. I won't talk about muscle spasm and being laid up for weeks. If I coulda moved, I woulda and I shoulda been better for it. Nerve loss and loss of use in my legs, isn't necessarily painful ... I mean, if you can't feel something, you can't feel something.

Steve

Latest posts