Scammers

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don’t really trust anything anymore. I didn’t get any spam texts until the same day I signed up for usps updates on a package. Got the first spam text about my “missing package” less than 48 hours later. Had never gotten a spam text to this number in the past... idk 7 years I’ve had it.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Parcel delivery companies having our phone number and emails, this bothers me. @Artichoke Lover

Another irk of mine is...
I dont think banks and other services should be asking for your FULL birth date, maybe in part but not the whole of it. It was not too long ago they would ask for your national inc number :ep.
How do we know these people are not criminals.

It has been known for people in a couple of banks that I will not name that they actually collected people's data. Why are we expected too trust a voice on the phone or online for that matter

There are certain people that cannot be trusted with people's personal information. Do they do back ground checks on who they employing?

They haven't with some working for the police

In the light of all that has unfolded over the last 4 years there's still nothing being done too protect the customer or the public. It scares the life out of me.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
These days just about every call that I get is some company / or insurance person that has the call on a recorded line. The scammers eather buy / steal your recorded personal information. So I now tell these jockers that " I do not talk on any recorded line on the advice of my Attorneys. " or " that they are now on a recorded line on Clark County Sherriff's office. CLICK ! :caf

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
These days just about every call that I get is some company / or insurance person that has the call on a recorded line. The scammers eather buy / steal your recorded personal information. So I now tell these jockers that " I do not talk on any recorded line on the advice of my Attorneys. " or " that they are now on a recorded line on Clark County Sherriff's office. CLICK ! :caf
Way to go :clap. My hat's off too you sir :)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What is criminal imo is the way scammers leave the person they have not only stolen from but pass on their private details in their scam or in some cases commit fraud in their name, leaving the person they have already abused with a potential criminal record.

I have never seen any kind of justice here for what I have just mentioned. As someone said to me only yesterday, it saves time too penalise the victim and in turn makes them look as if they have done good work, all good for their portfolio.

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh, and on the topic of personal information that can be potentially harmful. Not to be tin hat here... but consider genetic information. I feel this has the potential for great harm, and is for the most part currently being overlooked.

Private genetic testing for ancestry & health are popular, and heavily marketed ("It makes a great Christmas gift!"). That information too is supposedly private; but recent law enforcement cases have shown that genetic information can be accessed by subpoena (or sometimes without one) to search for matches to crime scene DNA. Current precedent suggests that practice will become much more widespread.

But more importantly IMO, consider the value genetic testing could have to an insurance company - particularly health insurance. If those companies could know your genetic predispositions to serious illness, they could increase your premium, or deny you coverage, probably without even telling you why. And they might reasonably assume your descendants had the same issues, and treat your whole family the same way. There are laws that specifically prohibit such use... but if those decisions were made surreptitiously, who would know? That genie could negatively impact generations, and should never be let out of the bottle... which is the reason that for our children's sake, neither DW nor I will willingly submit to such testing.

See here for the current Federal Genetic Privacy law.
Links to state DNA laws can be found here.
A really good discussion of the issues surrounding personal genetic data is here: The US Urgently Needs New Genetic Privacy Laws
I missed this, good point.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i do as little as possible on-line. having repeatedly seen how many companies are being hacked for information i don't know what people are thinking out there. to me and being a computer science trained person to boot i just see too much mayhem and BS that i won't do things that others are doing. they may think i'm old-fashioned or paranoid but i think there's been plenty of examples saying i'm doing ok. the stuff that really bugs me even more are the recent fad "cryptocurrencies" and seeing the number of scams going on with those (not counting the energy it takes to generate them) i just see nothing good about them.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here there is a company called Lifelock that locks up your ID numbers and they cannot be used to open up new credit. They will monitor your credit and notify you. Maybe they have a branch where you are?

Latest posts