Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
My two dogs have lost most of their hearing over the past year, and while they still fear fireworks, they are now only scared, as opposed to completely terrified. One of the few perks of old age I guess. Mabel feels safest outdoors under the back porch while little Cocoa thinks indoors is the place to be.
So has our dog. Now fireworks are less of a problem-except for the “boomers” that shake the house with no display.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I worked on the roof until noon. Hot. Sentry was in the house, in a dog crate. Snoozing, enjoying the AC, not a care in the world. I came in, took a shower, ate a sandwich and got ready to go pick up metal for the roof. Let Sentry out to potty and called him to the gate to put him in the field while I was gone.
Uhhh……. NOPE!

IMG_4611.jpeg

Of course I let him in. Just look at that face!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sentry was throwing up over the weekend, last night and this morning, he refused even chicken.

Took Sentry to the vet. I collected urine this morning. I recommend taking a urine sample when something isn’t right, it gives the vet something else to analyze. In addition he had a blood test, ultrasound and fecal test.

Blood in his urine, he MIGHT have a stone in his bladder, not so bad that it means surgery, but medication first. Blood is ok and a huge load of hookworms. The vet felt real bad that he didn’t check him for worms a couple of months ago. He said it would certainly make him throw up and not eat. Before he loaded Sentry up with medications, he wants to get rid of the worms.

I came home with 4 cans of turkey dog food for upset stomach and a big bottle of Panacur which is Safeguard. It’s enough to treat all the dogs. Sentry also got his rabies shot.

Tomorrow I take Sheba and Buford for their rabies shot, next day, Carson.

Got home, Sentry is inside, in the crate. I let Carson in. Put Sheba and Buford in the front yard, they are under the porch.

Cooper and girls are in the field, ewes and lambs are in the yard. I need to go outside in a little while and scrub buckets and give sheep fresh water.

Trying to keep everyone cool with plenty of fresh water.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear that poor Sentry is feeling unwell. It sounds like you have the situation in hand though. I hope nothing is wrong with him other than worms.

I buy dog wormer (WormOut) with active ingredient praziquantel (in addition to one of the older benzimidazole drugs like panacur) from PetsMegastore in Australia and treat several times a year as a matter of course. That combination safely kills hookworms, roundworms, whipworms, tapeworms, and hydatid tapeworms..basically everything. Internal parasites are nasty and pervasive little fiends.

Hope Sentry feels better.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear that poor Sentry is feeling unwell. It sounds like you have the situation in hand though. I hope nothing is wrong with him other than worms.

I buy dog wormer (WormOut) with active ingredient praziquantel (in addition to one of the older benzimidazole drugs like panacur) from PetsMegastore in Australia and treat several times a year as a matter of course. That combination safely kills hookworms, roundworms, whipworms, tapeworms, and hydatid tapeworms..basically everything. Internal parasites are nasty and pervasive little fiends.

Hope Sentry feels better.
That’s good to know. I buy Bravecto from SierraPetMeds in New Zealand. No prescription and it’s cheaper. I’ll check out the Worm Out. Thanks!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well THAT didn’t go well. He hates it. So does Sheba and Buford. @SPedigrees thanks for that information! I’ll be ordering it for my dogs. I’ll finish up on Sentry-maybe. It’s a fight, but he’s severely infected so I have 3 more days.

It is Panacur, I use it in the name of Safeguard to worm my sheep for tapeworms. They hate it too but I run them through the chute, get in the chute and wrestle them, use a drench gun and down the hatch! MUCH easier than the dogs!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well THAT didn’t go well. He hates it. So does Sheba and Buford. @SPedigrees thanks for that information! I’ll be ordering it for my dogs. I’ll finish up on Sentry-maybe. It’s a fight, but he’s severely infected so I have 3 more days.

It is Panacur, I use it in the name of Safeguard to worm my sheep for tapeworms. They hate it too but I run them through the chute, get in the chute and wrestle them, use a drench gun and down the hatch! MUCH easier than the dogs!

three days will clear it? it seems you would need more than three days. also for a heavy infection i hope it isn't too much for him. be careful with the hot weather for a while. may be too much all at once. poor doggie!

Latest posts