Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm just glad we don't have any poisonous snakes in my state. (Actually we do have rattlesnakes but they are only found in areas with slate quarries, not near where I live.) Mabel would for sure have been bitten by now if we had. She's a terrible snake killer, and many beneficial and harmless garter and grass snakes have met their death at her jaws, but a rattler or copperhead might just have been quicker than she.

I hope Sentry recovers with no worse effects than the swelling. Benedryl should put him right before long. Poor guy.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night Sentry asked to go in the night pen with Sheba and Buford. He realized his mistake and went to the gate. Spoiled brat. He joyfully ran to the back door, then to the dog crate. He has a hard spot at the site of the bite, throat swelling is way down. I think he can stay outside tonight.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had a little excitement this morning. I put Sentry with ewes and lambs in front field. I was walking and looking at future barn site. Sentry “had” something. I went to look, expecting to find a crawdad. Whatever it was, it was gone. So I told him to “get it” and “where is it?”

He found it, pounced, bit it and slung it. Horrified, I tried to call him off of it, but nope. Sentry is WORKING. It was trying to get away, he slung it a couple more times. It came at me, I stomped its head. Sentry bit it again and tore it in half.

Look closely.

IMG_6074.jpeg

IMG_6073.jpeg

Red and yella kill a fella.
Red and black friend of Jack.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, a coral snake. If Sentry had gotten bit, it would have killed him.

I watched my female Great Pyrenees, Paris kill copperheads. She circled them, making them strike at her, then she grabbed the snake, shaking it HARD, and slinging it. She literally bit and shook them to pieces. I called it Paris’s dance of death.

The coral snake was not striking, it was trying to get away. When it was stretched out, in escape, Sentry snatched it and slung it. He really was doing a dance of death.

I watched him for awhile just to make sure he was ok. Big relief. Hugs and lots of good dog.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Coral snake has no true fangs and has to knaw a hole in you. Unless the snake connected with a dogs lip the odds are in the dogs favor. Boy i dont miss snakes!! It’s interesting how ”Natural” killing snakes is to many dog breeds. And me too now that i think about it.

Last edited: