Shed/rabbit house/greenhouse

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hire the work out. I started doing that instead of buying, unloading and stacking 400 bales/hay every year and I found two guys around 30yo that wanted cash work and live a couple of blocks from my house, so they could walk over. I like the building. It is wood and that is perfect for animal housing bc it is insulating. I keep two of my barn windows open ALMOST 365 days/year bc it's also made of wood.

I think I will have to unless DB decided I was going to do it no matter what. He can build anything and he helped DH build the shed, well actually DB designed it. If I get a saw, hammer and wood and start looking like I am making a mess, then he might do it for me. lol DS will help me, but he will not know how without DB and we have all the tools needed, but DS might figure it out. He has been putting new floors in the hutch as some of the boards got weak. Time is another thing since everybody is working full time.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rabbits and chickens in the same house? Great idea and it worked well for me. I think it keeps the rabbits safer and warmer through the winter months and with the rabbits hanging above the chickens there really isn't a problem with cross contamination as long as the coop is kept relatively clean.

I already had wire under my coop to prevent diggers. Remember as far as the coop goes, ventilation, ventilation, ventilation is all important in wintering chickens. Heat, light, not really needed but chickens will suffer from frost far earlier than from cold.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I do not like negative people or those that kill the joy of someone else. Find someone else to help you, maybe a friend, neighbor, or someone from church. Hire someone if need be. But get what you want. I would make it pretty too! New paint, window boxes, heck even a chandelier like the one in my coop! Whatever you do, do it right. If you want it closer for convenience or safety, move it. I think it's great that you can stand in it. Makes cleaning so much easier.

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I do not like negative people or those that kill the joy of someone else. Find someone else to help you, maybe a friend, neighbor, or someone from church. Hire someone if need be. But get what you want. I would make it pretty too! New paint, window boxes, heck even a chandelier like the one in my coop! Whatever you do, do it right. If you want it closer for convenience or safety, move it. I think it's great that you can stand in it. Makes cleaning so much easier.

Mary

Yes, I am thinking this would be easy to clean and really the hutch is a nice hutch, but it looks like a hutch lol. I live in town and I think paint and window boxes is called for. lol My DB is UNREAL. He is the most helpful and kind person in the world, but so negative and SIL thinks I am just the crazy rabbit lady, but I did not do this on purpose. DH was willing to build the rabbits a hutch and he felt sorry for them. I also wanted to show my kids kindness to animals. Actually, I did not know they can live as long as a dog. :hide

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
This shed in the picture has a million rabbits, I only need a few. Their hutch space, they each have 3 feet wide and 4 feet deep, plus their box on the back. To give them the space they already have, I could only put 2 on each side, and maybe 1 on the back, or stack some how. I was thinking maybe no pens, but put a pen in front. Leave the door open, have a pen with a gate and easy to clean with a rake and shovel. Runs could end up messy and stinky, and more work. I just want them to have the room they have, and a chance to go out now and then. They do not do much anyway other than dig a hole now and then and sit. They can just sit in their hutch. But in the shed, it could be more open, and have windows above. Paint the shed, plant flowers around and have flower boxes. I am not sure why SIL thinks the poor rabbits live in a hutch. Where do rabbits live anyway and not many if any hutches are 3 x 4 each with a 3 x 2 box.
rabbit shed.JPG

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The pic you posted with the shed doors open is probably much like yours and that shed is built on skids.
I bought a couple of those and had them moved here on a roll back truck. We couldn't get the truck exactly where I wanted the sheds, so we unloaded them, close to where they needed to be, and I skidded them into place on their attached skids.
I used a tractor, but if your ground isn't too soft a pickup or suv could do the same thing.
You need to attach your chains to the skids when you pull.
And yes you can add windows or hatches, just add them between studs, you may have to nail in a top and bottom plate for attachment of your window.
The one shed I have is almost exactly like yours, no windows just barn type doors, the other has windows installed from the manufacturer, so if they can do it so can you!!!!

THANX RICH

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to move my 4'x8' tackroom around all the time by myself, using the same method that @journey11 suggested. Your shed is about double that, but with a little help you could roll it around on peeler poles.
But it sounds like you have decided to keep it in place and build a fence, which would probably be best in the long run anyway.

A bit of paint and a few windows and that little shed could be real charming. Take a look at the Restore for windows. They will pretty much take whatever you offer them if you see some you like. At least that was the case when I bought some. In fact you could probably find your paint there too.I don't know if you have one in PF, but there's one on 95 in Hayden, next to Ziggys.

When your well meaning family give you heartburn over the rabbits, just give them a Mona Lisa smile and go all mysterious on 'em. :) :hugs

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
How many rabbits do you have? How many does/bucks?

When I raised rabbits, the cages were 2 feet deep and 3 feet long. One rabbit per cage.

I have 7. Three females and 4 males. Two of them are normal size rabbits, but 5 of them are big. They each have 3 feet wide and 4 feet deep. Then have boxes in the back 2 x 3 feet each.

Latest posts