Show off your Pot...

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:) Every time DH sees me using this wheelbarrow he comments on how it would make a better planter, and why don't I use the big wheelbarrow... I guess I'm lucky he does not know it could be worth $50. :D

Some day it will be a planter, but right now the wheels still work just fine, and there's only a small hole. Sentimental value too I guess, it used to be my great aunts wheelbarrow.

Picture 12005.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never seen an old wheel barrow like that with two front wheels. I like the sentimental value it holds for you. :)

We had to leave my dads old wheel barrow behind when we moved cross country. We just couldn't squeeze one more thing into the truck. It's an old metal contractor type with pipe handles and a solid wheel. Weighs as much as a baby elephant. I remember dad and my brothers hauling endless loads of cement for a gigantic retaining wall dad built with it. We left it with my bil, but he may not still have it. :(

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lavendar, what a beautiful wheel barrow! It's so special when it belonged to someone in your family.

I saw a rustic yellow one that was only $15! I loved it but it was 2 hours away. :(

Mary

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had my great grandmother's wooden wheelbarrow (with a metal wheel) in the garden as a planter for many years. I would say it is time to throw it out. The wood is just too rotten. I will save the wheel and use it for decoration in the garden, but the wood is done. Dh says it is better for me to have wheelbarrows with holes in them. I have a bad habit of filling them and leaving them outside when it rains. Oops! Sometimes I exhaust myself pulling weeds and I just don't have the gumption to wheel the weeds out to the back 40. What can I say?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lesa sounds like you need a garden cart with collapsible side rails and a square codder pin to attach to your riding lawn mower.

That's what I have here and it's a blessing. Trying to work smarter not harder.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
:D... container planting. I know there's a billion container plant ideas, but what are some of the best, different, or your favorite? Some do better in different climates and I'm always looking for flowers/plants that hang in there for the entire season, especially without TOO much fusing.

@thistlebloom, you mentioned in the other thread about peppers in container planting. The Explosive Embers would be great, no maintenance and this photo was taken Sept. 11 ... they were amazing until frost. (photo doesn't do their 'glow' justice) These were in the ground but I think would do fine in a pot.

View attachment 3314

What fills a pot quickly but doesn't peter out mid-season for you?
Sun or shade, I've got both... just needing some fresh ideas... thanks!

I finally took some pictures of the 4 containers I did for a client.
They were planted about 3 weeks later than I would have ordinarily got them in, so they haven't reached their full potential. I'm waiting for the calibrachoa to tumble down the sides, and the coleus to get more height. But this is them in adolescence :D.

I used a lot of the same material in all 4, with a couple of change outs.

These two are mostly full sun, with some bright shade for an hour or two about midday.

joss containers -picket garden 7.14 006.JPG joss containers -picket garden 7.14 009.JPG joss containers -picket garden 7.14 007.JPG joss containers -picket garden 7.14 011.JPG

This one is in deep shade most of the day. The coleus is really wanting to get leggy because it's so dark. I had some white bacopa spilling out of this one, but apparently something broke it. It was all dried up and dead when I got there to water.
It made a big difference, really brightened up that Obsidian heuchera. But it would have gotten very unhappy there in the dim light anyway.

joss containers -picket garden 7.14 012.JPG

This one is full sun for half a day, then bright shade after that.

joss containers -picket garden 7.14 016.JPG

Latest posts