Show off your pumpkins

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 9424 Here's the garden kids with their harvest. I think the pumpkins were their favorite thing to grow. Unfortunately powdery mildew took the vines out before they all were finished, but the kids were even excited about the green ones, and took them all home.

Aww, that's awesome! They look so proud of their hard-earned pumpkins. :thumbsup

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
View attachment 9424 Here's the garden kids with their harvest. I think the pumpkins were their favorite thing to grow. Unfortunately powdery mildew took the vines out before they all were finished, but the kids were even excited about the green ones, and took them all home.

What a precious photo! And a group of kids who will remember their first pumpkins (and you) forever! :love

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The second year for La Madera, @barefootgardener .

However, my winter squash patch may be turning into a gene pool ..! I planted saved seed. The plants and fruit appear to be the same as last year's. However again, last year's squash were variable ...

I saved seed from Autumn Crown, also. It's a hybrid to start with. The fruit this year has Autumn Crown's shape but the grey color of some of last year's La Madera.

I also have Burgess Buttercup in the garden each year. None of the plants from saved seed show any buttercup characteristics.

I've eaten some of the buttercups but none of the larger squash. There is the real test ...

:) Good to have you back, BareFoot!

Steve

Thank's Steve!

How does the La Madera taste flavor wise? Does it have dry flesh, sweet? Inquiring minds want to know!! :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think things looked so bad yesterday morning.

Considering it's fall ...

This morning, they are dripping with sprinkler water. Let's see if I saved the tomatoes ..
. IMG_20150927_145936205_HDR.jpg

Steve

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is a picture of Black Futsu winter squash. The fruits start out a deep blue/green, then a soft gray, black, and turn into a chestnut color as they ripen for storage. The fruits are warty and heavily ribbed. Very pretty. This is my first year growing out this Moschata variety.
1952.JPG

Attachments

• 240.JPG
    240.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 173

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank's Steve!

How does the La Madera taste flavor wise? Does it have dry flesh, sweet? Inquiring minds want to know!! :D
Candy sweet!

It is only offered to Native Seed Search members or I would have bought more seed for 2015. They have "Taos" this year and I think it's a replacement. La Madera is close to Taos, geographically. Bumblebees probably don't fly that far, however ...

@Hal and I are content with it making some crosses, altho, I don't believe he was thinking about La Madera crossing with Autumn Crown ;).

Buttercup has been an absolute standard in my garden for decades. It doesn't produce fully mature fruits in a normal year or I'm not curing them properly or I really don't have the best place for storage. Still, they have been my best choice.

Since this is the pumpkin thread -- I'm convinced that there is a world of pumpkin culinary opportunities! Of course, there are dessert breads and soup but I substituted pumpkin for zucchini in another soup recipe - good!

Steve
who finds pumpkin easier to grow and, so far, as long keeping

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am also growing out a C. maxima x C. moschata cross.. Tetsukabuto. This winter squash is known as the Japanese pumpkin.. The description of the fruit is what sold me on it. It has a deep yellow flesh with sweet and nutty, smooth and creamy, flesh, like custard. I have not tasted it yet, but plan on cutting into, and cooking up one this weekend.
141.JPG

Latest posts