SNOW IN TEXAS!!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@ducks4you you have a heated water hose?? I didn't know there was such a thing. Amazed!

How about a picture of the outside of your barn? Your horses look happy in their warm barn. Our barn is metal, with 15' high openings at each end. A cab tractor can drive through it.
Here is my heated hose:
https://www.amazon.com/Pirit-PWL-03...rd_wg=sl7Gr&psc=1&refRID=5FKA27ENFMC41W3XETJ2
I'll try to get pictures of my barn. I need to do some repairs this Spring on the side door AND the sliding door to the shelter, AND repaint the front loading door to the loft, AND sand and repaint AND repair the wood on the outside (inside of the shelter) wall. :th

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do what @ducks4you does also. I use heated dog bowls for dogs cats and chickens, heated water troughs for the goats and horses and I also have a heated hose, which doesn't reach the pens, but it's invaluable for filling the buckets I haul on the sled to refill everybody. When the hose is sitting on top of 4 feet of snow it melts it's way down and can be a bit of a tug of war pulling it back up.

My animals have wooden shelters also, 3 sided, open fronts, but even so they are measurably warmer than the neighbors metal barn.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are lucky to have a barn, PERIOD!!! :hugs
I hope to buy a tractor this year, but it has to be a small one that is short. Can't drive any tall tractor into my 70yo barn.

It's not lucky, I scrounged materials for several years and it all finally came together. One time, we drove 140 miles one way for treated power poles, got 22 of them for $80. I got used lumber, pulled nails and stacked it up. My husband indulged my madness, but thought I was nuts. I haunted the reject lumber rack at Lowes and bought cull lumber for a fourth of the price. Insurance appraised our barn at $30,000 and we have less than $8,000 in it. We bought new metal for it, new plywood for roof decking and (22) 2x6x20 for rafters because I didn't have enough of them. We hired the labor to build it.

Barn done.jpg

Look at the rafters, you can see the used lumber. We used a cedar tree for one of the poles.

Hay Delivery!

IMG_1023.JPG

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The horses think it's awesome. They didn't have a barn when we moved here. We were here 11 days and got snow, followed by a couple of ice storms and snow again. I felt so bad for them. They huddled under a clump of cedars. They sure love their barn now!

These pictures taken 2-25-2015. We moved on 2-14-2015, our 19th anniversary.

IMG2181.jpg

IMG2180.jpg

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
ended up with 8" of the white stuff....got down to 1* this morning, the news channels are saying to say off the roads if at all possible because of black ice till mid morning. from what i have seen only the main rds have been plowed the secondary and residential rds have not been touched...

wonder if my mailbox is still standing......:lol: