SNOW IN TEXAS!!!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not lucky, I scrounged materials for several years and it all finally came together. One time, we drove 140 miles one way for treated power poles, got 22 of them for $80. I got used lumber, pulled nails and stacked it up. My husband indulged my madness, but thought I was nuts. I haunted the reject lumber rack at Lowes and bought cull lumber for a fourth of the price. Insurance appraised our barn at $30,000 and we have less than $8,000 in it. We bought new metal for it, new plywood for roof decking and (22) 2x6x20 for rafters because I didn't have enough of them. We hired the labor to build it.

View attachment 24032

Look at the rafters, you can see the used lumber. We used a cedar tree for one of the poles.

Hay Delivery!

View attachment 24033
Nice barn bay, like how the log look in your barnThat is a major improvement to your property for an $8000 investment.Did you buy that tractor new? I want a tractor in the worst way but it is way down on the list according to DW. I hope you all make it through your snow event lol. I follow Texas prepped 2 and he is fairly disgusted with it lol.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
wow what a 24hours difference make...white out conditions yesterday and today bluebird skies ...
IMG_0921[1].JPG
knew that i was not going to shovel the whole driveway, got the idea to use the leaf blower dang worked out great since the snow was the light and fluffy kind...hopefully the sun will melt most of it....
IMG_0919[1].JPG

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I blanket Luke also. I used to not because it flattens the coat and they lose the air trapping qualities that help insulate them. I would only do it before if it got below 20 or was cold, wet, and windy. But he's a hard keeper and I have to really push the feed at him to help him maintain a normal weight, so this year I began blanketing when it got down to freezing, and keep him blanketed. I have a variety of different blanket weights for normal cold or extreme cold, because I don't want to go the other way and have him sweat.
It's a controversial point among horse people, but this winter Luke has held his weight well, without me having to give a lot of supplemental grain over his normal ration.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
wow what a 24hours difference make...white out conditions yesterday and today bluebird skies ...
View attachment 24049 knew that i was not going to shovel the whole driveway, got the idea to use the leaf blower dang worked out great since the snow was the light and fluffy kind...hopefully the sun will melt most of it....
View attachment 24048

What a pretty day you're having! We want our snow back, it's 40 and raining right now.
So sucky.

Latest posts