So is it Broth or Stock

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pinned it! That was the most downright comprehensive explanation of veggie broth I've ever read!

I've not made vegetable broth before. I am usually pretty quick to toss everything to the compost. Finally, a use for those leek tops! That always bothered me...tossing those out. I've heard it said to save your onion peels as well.

Now, I was really surprised that she said cabbage shouldn't go in there. My MIL taught me how to make really good vegetable (or veggie beef) soup and she taught me that the secret to a really good soup base was to first cook a whole head of cabbage and several carrots until they disintegrated, then put in the other cut veggies and cook them until tender. If cabbage is good in soup, how can it be bitter in broth? It tastes sweet to me in the soup. :hu

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of course, I am using bok choy and cabbage and broccoli in soup also, Journey. And, of course, tastes are subjective.

I can make soup too, too sweet with carrots - to my taste.

Yes, the outer onion peel can add color to broth. Seems to, anyway. I don't know how much flavor it adds at that yellow, dry stage. It wasn't until I grew up and began living with others that I realized how much of a role onions played in my family's diet. Always have onions ;)!

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I could not begin to tell you how many onions we go through. Garlic and scallions too. And now I am dabbling in shallots and leeks. But it's a good kind of addiction. :D

I had read a blog article awhile back claiming that onion skins have a lot of nutrients in them and didn't do anything with that information because I wasn't sure of the credibility of the source. Only just now googled it for more info...apparently that is correct. And the root ends have value too. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110714073348.htm So toss those babies in there too! :weee

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Use them without peeling them!!! Do you know where those onion roots have been??? :p

Onions, carrots, and celery are the regular vegetables that go into my stock or broth, whatever it is that I make. A few cloves of garlic generally make it too. The only spice I use is peppercorns unless Bay Leaf is a spice and not an herb. I toss in a bay leaf too. I always have oregano and basil in it. I dry four or five pints of each every year so I have plenty. Sometimes I add thyme, parsley, and/or chives depending ion my mood and what is available.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
from the linked website:
umami ... found in abundance include sea vegetables (nori, kombu, dulse, etc.) asparagus, sun-ripened tomatoes, soy, mushrooms, matured meat (like beef jerky and cured ham), cheese (especially Parmesan), and seafood. It’s also found in moderate amounts in potatoes, green peas, and Chinese cabbage, and in smaller amounts in other foods.

Okay, I've never used Parmesan with much enthusiasm. It's probably because I've only had what comes under a green lid -- what is sometimes served to me in a restaurant is good! Anyway, that's a possibility.

I've got a number of choices for soy sauce and it's cousins, including Magi sauce. These often go in marinades in my kitchen. I don't know where I'm going with this idea but there's that fermented soy ... something like tofu ... there's miso but ... tempeh!! I have never eaten tempeh nor do I know how to use it. I wonder how easy it is to find. I can't imagine that tofu would add flavor to anything, but maybe tempeh.

What is most likely for me is mushrooms. I'm not like the author who doesn't use them (?). I've used shiitake mushrooms for 20 years in soups and sometimes in stir-fries. That should be a good addition to vegetable broth :).

Steve

Jeni Ann

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Why have I never made veggie broth before? I probably will now :) 'Roasted Veggie Broth' :drool
& Steve ... Nope, I am not a Jennifer! ;)
& Chicken feet. I heard the old tales of using all the parts ... but what the heck is there on the feet?! Might as well toss in a couple of peeled sticks o_O

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why have I never made veggie broth before? I probably will now :) 'Roasted Veggie Broth' :drool
& Steve ... Nope, I am not a Jennifer! ;)
& Chicken feet. I heard the old tales of using all the parts ... but what the heck is there on the feet?! Might as well toss in a couple of peeled sticks o_O
Gelatin , bone marrow, a little fat, a little protein and lots of flavor ! ;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Jeni Ann, post: 206394, member: 3156"} ... but what the heck is there on the feet?! Might as well toss in a couple of peeled sticks o_O[/QUOTE]

See...?? That's the problem I have, I've seen what's on their feet!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Jeni Ann, post: 206394, member: 3156"} ... but what the heck is there on the feet?! Might as well toss in a couple of peeled sticks o_O

See...?? That's the problem I have, I've seen what's on their feet![/QUOTE]
Just give them a good wash, par - boil, then cool enough to remove the scales, then in new water continue to boil until all nutrients are in the liquid. YUMMM !

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Jeni Ann, post: 206394, member: 3156"} ... but what the heck is there on the feet?! Might as well toss in a couple of peeled sticks o_O

See...?? That's the problem I have, I've seen what's on their feet![/QUOTE]

Me, too.....(and smelled it) :sick Like you, Thistlebloom, I just can't get past that.

Latest posts