Something Olde ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm turning 26 in a couple weeks

I was watching a guy up a tree on YouTube collecting honey from a big hollow branch when I thought, "I don't remember doing that ;). The cereal had finished cooking so I went in the kitchen to squeeze some honey out of a plastic bear into my bowl ... And, I thought to post this here!

A newspaper reporter on Twitter asked if we remember something that if we told a young person they wouldn't understand. Within minutes, more stuff was on there than I could even keep up with - finger swiping, brain comprehension, or memory :D! Here are some of them:
  • A rotary dial on telephones is something of a cliche but it's a good place to start ;).
  • manual typewriters
  • card catalogs
  • mimeographed handouts
  • rewinding a tape ... with a pencil
  • returning a movie to the store and paying a rewinding fee :rolleyes:
  • 45 rpm records on the back of cereal boxes
  • stores closing at 1pm on Saturday and not reopening until Monday morning
  • "I got it, I got it? Hello? It's for me!"
  • "Will you get off the phone? I want to use the internet!"
Steve :D
now, somebody else's turn

telephone-lg.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL Steve I remember all but the 45 RPM on cereal box!
Do you remember:
Teaberry and Blackjack gum
Bread sacks in your boots
The dinner bell (each kid on the block had a different signal)
Party lines

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I may be young but I've rewound a cassette tape with a pencil, I've been grounded for not rewinding my VHS before mom took it back to the rental place, and my dad had a rotary phone when I was a teenager. and i drank out of the hose many times, even recently lol. I also remember when DVDs came out and was fascinated by them. my parents didn't worry about where I was till I was late for dinner ( I was always out on my bike) heck a song from when I was my SS's age came on the radio and he gave me the weirdest look as I went all Spice Girls on him

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
A deck of computer punch cards, floppy discs, and all the different media that has been used for computer data.
Inserting a floppy disc to boot up your computer.
All the different media to store and play music, 45's LP's cassettes, 8-tracks, etc.
No seat belts in cars.
Manual transmissions.
Pagers.
The military draft.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember getting slightly nauseous from the smell of mimeographed test papers in school. Not from the smell itself, but from the anxiety of taking a test.

Some neighbors back when I was young used the Sears Roebuck catalog in the outhouse. No squeezable softness there.

As a young teenager, smoking grapevines was the height of rebellion. :eek::sicko_O

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember getting slightly nauseous from the smell of mimeographed test papers in school. Not from the smell itself, but from the anxiety of taking a test.

Some neighbors back when I was young used the Sears Roebuck catalog in the outhouse. No squeezable softness there.

As a young teenager, smoking grapevines was the height of rebellion. :eek::sicko_O
Grapevine? Dad said it was corn silk, GROSS either way!

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Rumble Seats.
Saturday movie matinee 10 cents.
Heading home when the street lights came on.
Going to the library and getting past a very stern librarian looking over her glasses me shaking in my boots, she was the only person who ever intimidated me in my whole life.
Gas masks in WW2 and blackening out windows before you turned the lights on at night.
Getting shoes resoled and heels replaced..
Putting needles in the gramophones and cranking them up.
Radio shows like Blondie, Fibber Mcgee and Molly, Amos and Andy, Jack Benny, Lux Radio Theater, The Shadow, The Whistler, Gang Busters, The FBI in Peace and War, Superman, The Bickerfords, Edgar Bergman Charlie MaCarthy show.
Torpedo suckers.
Dishes and towels in boxes of soap powder.
Scrub boards
3 wheel clip on roller skates, scooters and a good skipping rope or two for double skipping.
Playing Hopscotch, Hide and Seek and Statues
Getting the list of school supplies needed the first day of school and then heading downtown to buy what was needed. I used to go to Filmer's Stationery because they gave you a free pass to a Saturday matinee.

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you remember:
Teaberry and Blackjack gum
Bread sacks in your boots
The dinner bell (each kid on the block had a different signal)
Party lines
I'm not sure if I remember Teaberry but I remember Blackjack. Licorice was/is a favorite but that gum wasn't a favorite. Maybe I should have known about Teaberry.

I predate plastic film so I didn't have bread sacks in my shoes. I was mostly a farm kid and so had rubber boots. Mom would whistle through her hands to call us to dinner.

The party on our party line was the Kadlevek family who lived down the road from us. They were from Czechoslovakia. It wasn't so great for me to listen in because I couldn't understand Czech.

What about "Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar," @aftermidnight ?

I used to stretch my leg and click the dimmer switch by accident, @canesisters :). Still do that - wipers, turn signal Wildman!

Steve

Latest posts