sprouted taters

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Gracious! I peeked in the spare room to water the bags and some of them are a foot tall already! (the sprouts, not the bags)

Ok - it's not necessary to cover the stems, right? I think that someone said that they've never found potatoes growing on the stems when uncovered???? So just let them grow at their current 1/2bag full of soil level?

I'll get some picts soon.

th.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think some varieties form potatoes along the stem if they are buried and some don't. Key word is think, not know. Since you have two bags is an experiment called for?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
ha-HA! Good thinking Ridge.
Although.... since this whole thing started when a sprouted potato from the supermarket decided to grow last fall instead of compost - so I have NO idea what type of 'tater' it is. It would be interesting ... but probably not real helpful.
I wonder what type of potatoes are usually sold at the grocery??? Just a plain 'ol brown skin, white flesh tater, boil to make mashed potatoes type of tater.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does it matter? If you bought them at the store and ate them, then they must have been good. Right? Didn't make you sick did they? :gig Store bought food rarely has a name anyway, I know frozen :sick French fries don't have variety names. Vegetables in our gardens have names, sometimes after the families who preserved the seeds and grew them for generations. Makes the rows of grocery store vegetables look plain and bland, doesn't it?

Latest posts