TEG Members Map (pin your location)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
If I can get enough coolers Ridgerunner I can help with that deer problem ;)
I'd love for you to help and so would most of the neighbors. The problem is that the guy that owns the land only allows people to take big bucks. No young males and no does. And those deer just won't leave his land during hunting hours. There are plenty of people here that could help the problem if they were allowed.

I think the way to manage that herd would be to thin out the does, the spikes, and the old mature trophy bucks. Leave the intermediate bucks to grow.

A few Decembers ago when I left for a few days to visit relatives, a buck rubbing the velvet off his antlers killed two young apple trees, severely damaged a third, damaged a couple of peach trees and a cultivar red maple. I've also had deer eat young trees pretty much to the ground, especially pear, cherry, pecan, and hickory.

If you look a bit to the west of the garden, you'll see a bunch of dots. Those are the 2x4's and wire pretectors I put around individual trees to protect them against the deer.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Quality Deer Management :barnie :he

I've never been a fan of that but then I shoot does and bucks equally because its about food not about a trophy on my wall. Would I like to shoot a big monster 12 point buck? Absolutely but thats never been and never will be my goal when I go out.

Your right about

I think the way to manage that herd would be to thin out the does, the spikes, and the old mature trophy bucks. Leave the intermediate bucks to grow.
Quality Deer Management works to an extent but you have to apply all of it for it to work. That means cull spikes, and 4 points and anything that's got a lot of body but no real antlers to speak of. The term I keep hearing is "scrub bucks". They have a lot of body meaning they are young bucks that don't have a lot of antler development inspite of their age and are not going to grow a record setting set of antlers. So they thin them out so they are not breeding with the available does.

You have to take some does along with the inferior bucks otherwise you've got too many deer trying to eat and less food = less nutrition going to growing antlers. Unless he's got a food plot and is keeping the herds in check he's not going to get the quality of deer he thinks he is. My buddy's family does this on their large plot of land they own and they consistantly shoot some jaw dropping bucks year after year. I mean absolute bruisers. 12 points are an average not a lifetime. But then they also are quite picky about the deer they let grow.

There's a whole science or should I say school of thought on it. You should float out those things to him. Ask him if he's got food plots. What's his criteria for culling spikes or inadequate bucks? If he does how many and what is he growing? See if you can convince him to plant some fast growing apple trees, or fast growing oaks for food too in addition to plot management. If not help him plant some, and I bet it help keep the deer from overrunning you and your neighbors.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I found our house, but I can't get close enough to see anything smaller, like the milk room or the chicken pen. I sure can't see the big white dogs.

How come you guys can see gardens and fences? All I can see is the roofs on the buildings :hu

IMG_2541_zps4aa68738.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bummer. If it got closer maybe we could count the cows! There should be about 8500 of them right about now. Next month, only half that.
I liked that pic too Carol Dee. It always makes me laugh. These two dogs are like bookends!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's hard to believe that NO ONE from outside of North America has dropped a pin. Surely there are TEG gardeners all over the globe.?

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
[

I considered an electric fence but didnt want to have to keep the weeds and grass cleared out to keep from grounding it out. So I put in some wooden fence posts and used 5 high no-dig kennel fencing. Thats a lot like chicken wire but fairly heavy gauge. Then I screwed 2x4s onto the posts to raise the height to 10, drilled holes in the 2x4s at 6, 8, and 10 above ground level and pulled brace wire through that.
cAN YOU PLEASE TAKE A PICTURE OF YOUR FENCE AND POST IT? we ARE GETTING READY TO DO DEER FENCING AND WE ARE LOOKING AT IDEAS.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
AlienChick-- Looks like you have a pond? Pretty big one too! How about some sheep pics?

Thistlebloom-- Never underestimate your them-park-ability! I think you are quite amusing...

NwMtGardener-- Which house is yours. Is the white roofed building a neighboring home or an out building?

PeetyFoozer-- Never mind about that singing. As long as it's a joyful noise, God loves it!

Nitty-- i couldn't find your house in the trees. Am I missing something?

Latest posts