The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Well done, Ron!

Mine have turned out almost too gooey to cut.

Any secrets from the world's pecan capital on how to deal with that?

Steve
I don't think you are suppose to cut it, just eat it whole LOL :gig

Seriously, it may be the center was not fully cooked through. Did you do a knife insert to test it?

With this recipe I altered it a bit and increased the egg-count to 4 eggs instead of 3, and I reduced the sugar and corn syrup and replaced that with maple syrup. I also increased the vanilla by 1/2 tsp.

It seems I can never leave well enough alone sometimes!

Ron

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like the pans with buttered foil or parchment then when the pie is cool take it out remove the paper or foil and put the pie back in the pan :) easy!

looks wonderful !

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I made enchilada sauce ..red chile colorado and green chile sauces

the chiles are not from my garden (they are from New Mexico and Cali) but the herbs onioins and garlic were

so I have "Christmas" frozen in containers now (we eat red and green chile enchiladas for Thanksgiving ..this is clalled "Christmas" )

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Darn it I made the mistake and clicked on this darn thread! It hurts my gut!

Now don't get me wrong, everything looks sooo good!
I start reading about enchilada sauce, Yummy, but my mouth starts to water and my gut burns!
That is why I hate to go out to eat! I sit and read about food, my mouth waters up gut burns, then 20 minutes later out comes my food.

So now after reading about this wonderful sauce I click a page back and see Ron's Wonderful looking Pie! :th

Stick a fork in me I'm done!

Joe

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you suffer from excessive Heartburn Joe? I know how that feels but it has been a long time for me, almost a year now since I felt that. I have a hiatal hernia from all those years of suffering.

I found out that it is really stress! Seriously, no enchiladas can take me down now! I am stress-free!

As for current fixins: I just had my first Fried Green Tomatoes! They were quite yummy. I did them as a breakfast with fried eggs, tortillas, and fresh salsa. YUMMMM!

I also have this monster Swiss Chard in the Garden. It is so beautiful and intimidating. I finally cut some leaves and prepared them.

5 leaves, taking the main stem out and chopped 1 inch across.
Olive Oil
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbs crush red pepper
salt to taste

Saute diced garlic and crushed red pepper in olive oil about 1 minute. Add fresh cut Chard, saute another 5 minutes. Salt to taste.

I served this under thinly sliced pork which was marinated as a fajita!

OMG... I am threatening cooking this nightly until the Swiss Chard is gone! LOL

Ron

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You guys are all such good cooks!

Well, yesterday I opened a can of chili . . . . But, on top was a good place for a chopped Thessaloniki tomato (I've got 2 left, 35 days after harvest ;)), chopped Walla Walla sweet onion (got plenty of these), a couple sprigs of cilantro (they're still doing fine in the fridge, harvested the leaves AND the root well after 1st frost) along with cheddar cheese and a spoonful of sour cream.

Something like that, is typical for my use of garden veggies. DW has broader talents.

I did make a nice veggie stew out of the last of the eggplants and green peppers, a good 10 ago now. Putting sliced potatoes on the bottom seems to be the way to go for cooking something like this slowly on the stove top. But, you gotta scoop carefully to get the full range of ingredients to serve - from the potatoes on the bottom to the sliced tomatoes on the top. No stirring before or after cooking.

Seems like it would be a casserole recipe but I suppose that since these things all cook fairly quickly that using a heavy pan on a burner just speeds things up and worked fine. I'm all in favor of speeding things up when there's the prospect of something good to eat :).

Steve

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Goodness I haven't been on here for awhile..... but I can see that all you wonderful cooks/gardeners are still at it. I just finished cooking up some green beans from the garden and thought about how much I missed all you guys and your wonderful tips and recipes etc.... I'm babying some rutabagas and some collards in the garden for Thanksgiving. It is good to be back. Ron that pie is gorgeous and Fried green tomatoes in Nov, I'm so jealous!!
:rainbow-sun

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Last week I made muffins from garden produce - pumpkin, zuchinni, carrot and apple. This week I'm making loaves. I froze pumpkin, zuchinni, rhubarb, raspberries, apricots, prunes and cherries to bake with. I also dried cherries, plums (prunes), grapes (raisins), apples and apricots. I love having all this produce! Out of the world taste while fresh and NO additives and preservatives for dried, etc. Plus I don't use pesticides except organic approved.
Much better for us.

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We had left overs today. So yummy.
I'm visiting the folks in upstate NY. We decided to invite some friends for a nice german dinner. Mom had apples and potatoes from the garden. We made chunky apple sauce, apple pie and mom made potato dumplings. She also made "sour braten". Dad and I cut up a head of red cabbage from a local farm stand, which mom made into her famous red cabbage. She also made a pumkin pie, which was not the usual and homemade rolls. I made real whipped cream for the pies.
The dinner was devine.
The left overs are to drool over. We made plenty of everything and will have left overs again tomorow.

I got mom's recipe for the pumpkin pie, so I'll try it with fresh pumkin, when I get back home.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
FarmerDenise, You've gotta get me your recipes for both. I've made Sauerbraten, before, but it's been years. We have been driving to this little town in IL, Gibson City, to eat at their German restaurant, Bayern Stube, where the food is AWESOME. I'd also like your recipe for red cabbage. Please?? :fl :fl :fl

Latest posts