The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I used up the last of the sweet potatoes and made a sweet potato loaf, some sweet potato buns and have enough left to try a sweet potato custard tomorrow. I got the recipes from BYC and they were all new to me. The buns were the best - nice and soft and tasty. :drool

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just picked and cleaned baby beets and their greens to go with my dinner tonight. One of my favorite garden delicacies! I steam the the greens in a little chicken broth, simmer the beets separately, slip the skins and toss them back in with the greens. YUM! These will be going along with whole wheat spaghetti topped with home canned sauce, roasted red pepper from my garden (frozen) and ground deer burger we processed ourselves.

Love this time of year and all the variety of fresh greens to be had! :happy_flower

the4heathernsmom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
So many talented folks on here!!!! we put up 3 quart bags of strawberries in the freezer and ate some yummy homemade strawberry yogurt with the rest !!!

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Made rhubarb crisp :drool which was heavenly. Plan to make some rhubarb squares and stewed rhubarb (my son loves it so much it just disappears - made two big pots of it already this year and only had a couple of small bowls myself). I added cherries frozen last year to the last batch of rhubarb and we ate it with choc ripple ice cream - double yum! :drool :drool

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

I have masses of mixed salad leaves growing inside the house at the moment(I have just sown a whole lot more outside, but they are not up yet) -- I have kept the supply growing throughout the long winter. I also have a lot of herbs growing both inside & out. I use these as the basis of a lot of my winter meals, using good fresh fish & sea-food, cooked with lots of extra herbs on my cast-iron grill pan (or on the BBQ in the summer).

I enjoy food cooked very simply (& preferably quickly unless it is a slow-cooked casserole etc) so this recipe is one of my favourites: It is in Italian so you have to use a translation programme if you don't speak the language.....!! They are a laugh in themselves......!! :lol: :gig

Salmon & prawns on skewers with yogurt:

http://lasusinaontherocks.blogspot.com/2010/05/spiedini-di-salmone-gamberoni-al-pepe.html

I also use a similar recipe for cooking lambs kidneys, cut into pieces & skewered with pieces of smoked bacon--- very cheap & extra yummmy..........!! :D

:rose Hattie :rose

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie, that recipe sounds wonderful!

Took me a minute to realize that erba cipollina is chives, not the little flat onions.

translation:

2 pounds salmon
1 pound shrimp
pink peppercorns to taste
medium wood skewers
salt & olive oil to taste

for dressing:
125 grams good quality yogurt (about a cup)
1 tablespoon mayo
2 tablespoons lemon juice
chives to taste

Cut the salmon into bite-sized pieces and thread onto the skewers alternating with the shrimp as you like. Drizzle with the olive oil, lightly salt and sprinkle with coarsely-ground pink peppercorns. Slowly cook on a hot grill...ah, wait, they mean to say, sear it on the outside for a minute on the hot grill, then turn the heat down low until just cooked and still delicate--don't turn the shrimps into rubber, and only turn once, gently so the fish don't stick or fall apart. (I'm taking some liberties in this translation, the actual words make no sense in English.) Meanwhile mix the dressing ingredients. Serve right away with the fish skewers hot and the dressing chilled. Something about a relaxing supper just before going to bed? I guess they mean it doesn't sit heavily on your stomach.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I made that honeysuckle jelly yesterday, and my daughter and I ate it on a bagel this morning.

(Actually she licked it all off and asked for more jelly on her bagel... I gave in!)

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today's harvest:

2 big bunches green onions from overwintered sets
1 giant bunch poke sallet
1 large handful oyster mushrooms

Going to cook a mess of greens with rice and spicy turkey sausage for dinner. Then bake a quiche with the onions, mushrooms and cheddar cheese and freeze it for later in the week.

Poke sallet grows wild even this far north, and in fact is kinda invasive in my garden--it's all I can do to yank out the taproots from the pumpkin bed. I have a lot more than I can use, as DH won't eat it.

Latest posts