The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

jen4

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
hoodat wrote
I can never get sugar snaps from the garden to the kitchen I stand there and browse on them like a goat.
:lol:... they are so good raw or cooked. I love them, so glad we planted them this year, they will be a keeper!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have to wait about a month more before I plant my sugar snaps. They're a Winter crop in this part of the country but we get a very long harvest season. They last till warm weather gives them downy mildew.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
hoodat, you are SO lucky!! This is my first year planting sugarsnap peas, and mine are still producing. I took a chance and planted them in a 2 foot bed on the west side of my garage. Even though we've had highs in the upper 90's this summer ( with tons of humidity!! ), the are still producing fruit!!

MY SURPRISE was two nights ago. I was moving my hose from the garden to the horse trough and past my "not sure if ANYTHING will come up where I tilled and planted in May", orchard garden. I look down and found scads of big, fat, long green beans!!! We had a big bowlfull for dinner. NOW, I want to harvest more. :drool

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
ducks4you Poetry Corner
After the 4th of July,
I had a yen for pie.
I baked 3 up,
so DH could sup
1 cherry, 2 pumpkin! Oh, MY!!

(Montmorency cherries from my tree, and canned pumpkin from 2008 garden, made with eggs from my chickens.)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
ducks, I never thought about canning my own pumpkin. Do you need a pressure canner?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should have used a pressure canner. My pumpkin never lasts as along as my tomatoes in a jar. It's not hard to tell that it's going bad, but nobody wants THAT. This time I WILL use a pressure canner to can my pumpkin.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
With my blackberry harvest this season, I have made jam, syrup, sorbet, cobbler, and ice cream. I think I'll go back to the top of the rotation this weekend, and make some more jam.

I would have made salsa last night, but I forgot to pick up a few ingredients on the way home from dinner. That's what I'll be doing tonight. Gonna be pickles this weekend. I LOVE this time of year!! :D