The Community Garden Project - The Easy Garden Community WEIGHS In!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DawnSuiter said:
I don't know how to price things yet, I'm still winging it.
My young onions are selling for .25 each or 4 for $1

Our market has almost NO traffic yet.. but it takes time to build a following and each season it has more and more potential!
I'm guessing my spring onions are over done a bit... 3 bulbs is over a lb! :lol: They are much bigger then I thought they'd be, and I left the REALLY big ones to harvest and make them storage onions. (But I'm selfish and keeping those)

I also harvested some Nastrutrium as well, I harvested 25 flowers and I'm selling them in a package for $3.

The only thing I would LOVE to sell because I got more then I need is squash, but EVERYONE up there has squash and zuchinni like its going out of style! :lol:

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem said:
DawnSuiter said:
I don't know how to price things yet, I'm still winging it.
My young onions are selling for .25 each or 4 for $1

Our market has almost NO traffic yet.. but it takes time to build a following and each season it has more and more potential!
I'm guessing my spring onions are over done a bit... 3 bulbs is over a lb! :lol: They are much bigger then I thought they'd be, and I left the REALLY big ones to harvest and make them storage onions. (But I'm selfish and keeping those)

I also harvested some Nastrutrium as well, I harvested 25 flowers and I'm selling them in a package for $3.

The only thing I would LOVE to sell because I got more then I need is squash, but EVERYONE up there has squash and zuchinni like its going out of style! :lol:
If you have a dehydrator, you can make veggie chips with some of the extra. Add whatever seasonings you like and store it till later. Give them an idea sheet with recipes for lots of goodies that use it- with a purchase.

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I should like to report that yesterday I made two 8 oz jars of strawberry jam from 1 pint of my own strawberries.

Organic strawberries, around here, are currently $3/pint (non-organics are quite a bit less) and organic jam is $3.75/8 oz jar.

So aside from the sugar and the lemon juice (which Hubby paid for out of his own money) growing my own strawberries has now saved me:

$10.50

And since all of the berries I picked were from last year's new plants, I have no costs involved here, so that $10.50 is virtually all profit. I admit, I spent $3.30 on a box of liquid pectin, but I think I used about .15 cents worth of it in the jam :)

I also made 24 oz of a green radish dip in which I used two cups of organic chives (have no idea how much that is, call it $2) and 2 cups of organic radishes (regular radishes are selling for $1.50/pound, approx., so organic radishes are probably $2/pound?) so . . . another $4.

I had the rest of the ingredients already and Hubby bought the parsley.

I've spent about $200 and gotten $14 back so far :) And I will spend more on canning jars and so on when the cucumbers and beans and tomatoes ripen!

Whitewater (not gardening to save money, obviously! LOL!)

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The only thing I would LOVE to sell because I got more then I need is squash, but EVERYONE up there has squash and zuchinni like its going out of style!
Shred it and freeze it. I feed it to my ducks in the winter. Just take a frozen bag of shreds and put it in warm water. I have also fed them excess spaghetti squash. The entertainment factor of watching them try to eat it is worth it right there!!!

As for farmer's markets, ours don't even open until this coming week.

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I vote for shredding too... chocolate zucchini bread is why I put on weight each winter!! LOL

I didn't grow any zucchini because we don't normally eat it other than in quick breads..... maybe I should buy a plant from one of my fellow vendors... or... would anyone like to trade a few zucchini seeds for something I've got?

You can see my list on my website on the Garden page... ;) maybe some purple summer broccoli???

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ohhh... veggie chips! :p Dehydrator is now on my wish list. ;)

I was suggested to make some korean pancakes from zukes yesterday. I've already made zuke bread, so the pancakes are next, probably with dinner tonight. These are like the potato pancakes, think savory.... you will add a bunch of asian inspired ingredients, and dip these after a fry on the stove, into soy sauce. Mmmm...

I did get some cabbage from a neighbor too... so veggies are NOT a problem here these days. Haven't bought ANY from the store in a few weeks now.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DawnSuiter said:
I vote for shredding too... chocolate zucchini bread is why I put on weight each winter!! LOL

I didn't grow any zucchini because we don't normally eat it other than in quick breads..... maybe I should buy a plant from one of my fellow vendors... or... would anyone like to trade a few zucchini seeds for something I've got?

You can see my list on my website on the Garden page... ;) maybe some purple summer broccoli???
Do what I did.... I traded with a vendor for zukes over the weekend rather then grow it. But then again, 1 jar of jelly for 3 of them was a great deal! I also had spring onions I traded for cukes! Sometimes you just can't grow EVERYTHING you want. :rolleyes:

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem said:
Ohhh... veggie chips! :p Dehydrator is now on my wish list. ;)

I was suggested to make some korean pancakes from zukes yesterday. I've already made zuke bread, so the pancakes are next, probably with dinner tonight. These are like the potato pancakes, think savory.... you will add a bunch of asian inspired ingredients, and dip these after a fry on the stove, into soy sauce. Mmmm...

I did get some cabbage from a neighbor too... so veggies are NOT a problem here these days. Haven't bought ANY from the store in a few weeks now.
Can we have that recipe for the Korean pancakes? Sounds good.

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm the only vendor with any food. I don't know when that stuff comes around here season wise, but I'm sure that when it does, the vendors with food will show up. Most of them have said they won't even come around until July :(

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wife, I have switched over to your spreadsheet.... I printed mine and have been HAND writing it all this time.

I am sitting down today and I am typing everything up into a new spread sheet I am hoping to upload to google as well. It will probably be best for everyone who wants to try to do that as well.

I'll just print everything up when I'm done. I can see these charts plastered all over my office now! LOL

:smack

Latest posts