The Community Garden Project - The Easy Garden Community WEIGHS In!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Not sure about your area but bok choy goes for $1.98 in my area.
Per weight or by head?

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
How in the heck do you price dandelion flowers? :D

I picked half of a walmart bag full. I want to make wine.
You could use the price of an equivalent bottle(s) of dandelion wine as their "value". Enjoy the leaves too if it's not too late for them.

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I posted this on Sufficient Self but it fits here.

A community garden just started near me and I joined right away! Got a 4ft x 8 ft raised bed.
I already had some . . . (sooooo many) seeds, then got some more. Might have gotten carried away. Most of my seeds are not organic, but they are mostly Heirloom or open pollinated varieties, to be able to save seed.
The community garden supplies the raised bed, topsoil (heavy clay) , compost (free- from the city), and mulch (also free- from the city).
I filled my bed with roughly equal amounts of the mulch, compost and and topsoil to get the texture and drainage right. I will be adding worms soon to make it even better.
The food wont be quite organic, since we cant control the details on the donated stuff, but the garden wont have any chemicals added. Probably much safer than the average grocery store hide produce.
I spent $ 40.88 so far, and figure that will be easy to recover by the end of the season. It should bring the grocery bill way down.

Eating lots of fresh veggies will help keep me healthy. So will the exercise. I wont need any fancy diet plans or gym membership to get in good shape. I'm also making more friends, since this is a community garden. These aren't things I can put a price on but they are very valuable. So is my sanity. Working with the plants and the dirt is wonderful for that.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Made rhubarb squares last night. First thing harvested from my garden!!! Not sure $ wise, but making a recipe with food that I grow, priceless!!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Starting to harvest my lettuce, spinach, arugula, and swiss chard. I need to remember to start keeping track of my savings! :) I am starting to realize that I think I planted too much. All my greens are starting to grow like crazy! :D

Mary

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks Wife!

I'm still WAY in the hole with costs so far (I keep buying things I see on sale, and the addition of the new raised bed). But as the season goes on, I'm sure it will change :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninny- there is no such thing as too much greens!! Pick a bunch, blanch them and freeze them in plastic bags. Come winter you can add them to soups, stir fries, pasta dishes, etc. etc. They taste great and are so nutritious- you can't go wrong!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Lesa...I keep forgetting about the storing of them for the winter. I've never done that, so it's all new to me. I hope I'm not taking on too much. Yikes!

My daughter hadn't seen the garden in 10 days and she was shocked at how much bigger everything was! :D

Mary

Latest posts