1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Canning Question - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

the Seed You Save

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by digitS', Mar 15, 2019.

1. Aug 9, 2019
    Prairie Rose

Prairie Rose Chillin' In The Garden

I save a few different types of seeds, typically dill, zinnia, cosmos, and calendula. Every few years I plant out sunflowers, runner beans, and save a few tomato seeds of varieties I like. I inherited some saved seed for a giant potato-leaf yellow tomato I loved and then lost; I planted every bit of it I had one spring and then a critter happened to the seedlings. I'm still looking for it to buy seeds again...the source doesn't remember what they were called.

There is a variety of half-runner beans I need to save seeds for once I get a good crop going. There is a variety that is very common where my mother grew up, and it's the kind I grew up eating, and I can't find it here in the midwest. Blue lake and Kentucky Wonder just taste wrong to me. I have a couple packets of seeds to try out from a few different sources, and if one of them tastes right that will be what I save.

Back when I still had a traditional row garden with more space and more time, I did a lot more seed saving. I grew up in houses where you could duck into the pantry and find a row of seed jars, neatly labeled. My goal is to eventually be able to do that myself, and not have to buy seeds for my staple vegetable crops every year. I also want to be able to select for plants that do better in my environment; a lot of the family favorites come from a different environment and they don't do well here.

To make a long story short...yes I want to save my seeds, but I'm not quite there yet. Still learning this raised-bed intensive gardening thing first!

2. Aug 9, 2019
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

post a description of it to this thread and you'll have a good chance of someone knowing what it might be. worth a shot. :) and yes, i'm curious as to what it might be... :)

https://www.theeasygarden.com/threa...e-and-reawaken-the-thrill-of-discovery.22726/

ducks4you likes this.
  3. Aug 10, 2019
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

@Prairie Rose , I have grown Kellogg's Breakfast KBX. It's a potato leaf variety. Very Nice flavor but it's pushing things a little for here. The fairly short season combined with so many cool nights keeps me from growing many heirlooms.

Dr. Wyche's Yellow is one I especially liked (not potato leaf).

There were a few other big yellows like Azoychka and Orange Minsk but I had better stick with Lemon Boy hybrid just to get them comfortably into ripeness each year. All have regular leaves.

Good Luck looking for those varieties. It will be a worthwhile experience.
    Steve

ducks4you likes this.
  4. Aug 10, 2019
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    Love it when you talk garden varieties dirt!!! Haven't a CLUE what varieties these are. They just Sound Sexy!!!:cool:

flowerbug and digitS' like this.
  5. Aug 10, 2019
    Zeedman

Zeedman Deeply Rooted

@Prairie Rose , for another large yellow potato-leaf tomato, you might also want to try Yellow Brandywine. It is flavorful, highly productive, and widely available.