This is Luke

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why did you think that your riding days were over, Thistle'?

Of course, you don't need to answer anything. PM me to delete this and I'll do just that ;).

I remember you saying that you had a problem with your knee. You have 2 other hayburners, right? Couldn't a full-size horse have been chosen, instead?

Got that dog cart lubed and are there carts or something for the other equines?

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why did you think that your riding days were over, Thistle'?

Of course, you don't need to answer anything. PM me to delete this and I'll do just that ;).

I remember you saying that you had a problem with your knee. You have 2 other hayburners, right? Couldn't a full-size horse have been chosen, instead?

Got that dog cart lubed and are there carts or something for the other equines?

Steve

I did think my riding days were past Steve. There were a couple of reasons for that.
The biggest was time. It takes almost an hour to groom and tack up, a couple of hours to ride, more if we trailer out, then another 30 to 45 minutes to cool Luke out and clean up before putting him away, we're talking about a good chunk of time. I'm a little particular about a clean horse.

The reason for selling my last remaining horse and all my gear 10 years ago was the amount of time involved when there just wasn't any extra left in my day. My husband enjoyed me mountain biking with him too, and I didn't want to neglect his company, so it was always a tug of war between riding my horse solo, or spending a good time with him.

I also seriously shredded my right knee 20 years ago playing womens indoor soccer. I have worn a type 4 brace on that knee for 20 years...until this year. I can't explain what has happened, it is just better somehow. Still a little dicey, but much stronger and mostly pain free. The brace is only needed occasionally now when I overdo it.
Riding exacerbated the knee issue back then. I also had just started up my gardening business and had a full work week of clients, plus my own home gardens and vegetable garden.
So I would wave to poor Quincy standing out there watching me go to work, or watching me go mountain bike, or watching me catch up on yard chores...too much waving, not enough riding. He was young and needed to be used, so I made the decision to get out of horses and not look back.

Then I couldn't relieve that horse itch so I bought a mini so I could have that horse aroma without the weight of having to commit so much time. I ended up with a crippled mini mule also for a companion for him, Huckleberry.
I thought at the time of cart training, but never took that idea very far. Cooper had a dread of things following him and it would take time to work him through it. So the little guys are just for petting.

Getting Luke was actually my husbands idea. I spend far too much time on CL memorizing horses, just for entertainment, and one evening I saw Lukes ad and showed my husband. He said do you want to go look at him tomorrow? Well YEAH!

So now I have a horse again. And it was scary at first. What if I don't have any riding balance anymore? What if I really can't do this?
What if I can't afford a years worth of hay for a horse?
My husband reminded me that all of my previous reasons for not having a horse were still valid, but it was too late. My mind had already taken the leap and it was do or die.

My sweet husband is happy that I'm once again neck deep in this endeavor. He's content to ride (bike) alone and encourages me to never mind about my home chores and just go ride.

So far it's working out wonderfully. I don't have as many clients anymore, but am making more income from those I have so financially I can handle all the expense that go with horses. And I guess I'm just not as particular about my own landscaping anymore, so there's more time available from that quarter.
Time will tell I guess. Next growing season will be the real test with juggling all my commitments, but the days are longer then and I'll just drink more coffee. Haha.

I should add that I couldn't have even considered this without the small amount of money that came from my share of my parents estate that was in the bank for an emergency use. Mom would have been all for it. She was always my animal enabler. Dad would have thought it a poor way to use income but would have just shrugged and smiled. Thanks mom and dad.:hugs

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a gorgeous way to spend a beautiful day!!!! So much horse envy coming your way right now!!!! :D I'm green with it!

Luke's a beautiful horse, BTW, and I'm so glad your knee is allowing you to get back to horse riding. So many people just keep pasture ornaments and seldom ride and I often wonder just why they waste the money. LOVE to see folks getting out and actually riding their horses or working with them. I think horses are happiest when they have a purpose and a job, much like dogs, along with their regular horsey life among their herd mates.

Latest posts