Tomatoes 2021

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since Steve mentioned butternut squash I'm going to derail this thread with a question.

I just read a post elsewhere where they said that most canned pumpkin was butternut squash? First time I've heard this. Is this true?

Mary - Who only uses Libby's canned pumpkin. :p. But may try roasted and pureeing some fresh pumpkins.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would surprise me as I thought they used a different type of squash-cushaw. Although butternut and pumpkin do taste extremely similar to me.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
i understand this completely as to me a grey tomato would mean rotten and moldy.
I KIND OF get that. That's sort of my problem with a few black tomatoes. most "Blacks" and "Purples" are really dark pink or red with a green overlay or green patches. A few however, have the red and green completely integrated. This CAN result in a uniformly brown tomato (like "Mr. Brown or "Indishe Fliesch") which is fine, chocolate is brown and I eat that.

But in one or two cases the purple comes out the color of a bruise, and I find that REALLY off putting. The worst offender of that is good old Purple Calabash.

Then there is the green when ripe problem. I love green when ripe tomatoes (most of them, at least). But since most of them are really yellow green, they turn a horrific shade of olive khaki if you try and heat them (say, for tomato sauce). This year, I finally found some green cherries at the farmers market that seem to have no yellow component and saved seeds. But the problem then is that there is no way to tell if the tomatoes are ripe without touching them!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since Steve mentioned butternut squash I'm going to derail this thread with a question.

I just read a post elsewhere where they said that most canned pumpkin was butternut squash? First time I've heard this. Is this true?

Mary - Who only uses Libby's canned pumpkin. :p. But may try roasted and pureeing some fresh pumpkins.

They misspell C. pepo but that is the most-common Jack o'Lantern pumpkin.

Steve

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I KIND OF get that. That's sort of my problem with a few black tomatoes. most "Blacks" and "Purples" are really dark pink or red with a green overlay or green patches. A few however, have the red and green completely integrated. This CAN result in a uniformly brown tomato (like "Mr. Brown or "Indishe Fliesch") which is fine, chocolate is brown and I eat that.

But in one or two cases the purple comes out the color of a bruise, and I find that REALLY off putting. The worst offender of that is good old Purple Calabash.

Then there is the green when ripe problem. I love green when ripe tomatoes (most of them, at least). But since most of them are really yellow green, they turn a horrific shade of olive khaki if you try and heat them (say, for tomato sauce). This year, I finally found some green cherries at the farmers market that seem to have no yellow component and saved seeds. But the problem then is that there is no way to tell if the tomatoes are ripe without touching them!
Oh, that Purple Calabash. I've grown it 2 or 3 times and I don't know if it's a too thin skin, too much juice or too soft a flesh but that tomato gets a thumbs down from me too. It can look a little grey to me as well. It's produces like crazy but there just isn't enough substance there for me, too much liquid & too little meat. That tomato has a devoted fan club though.

Green when ripe tomatoes when cooked? I grow lots of greens, & I've never thought to cook them. I just find them so delicious fresh that I guess those ones never made it to a pot. Your cherries might be Verdo Claro, that's one of the very few green cherry tomatoes with no 'ripeness' indication at all. Pastel green right 'til the end. But I gave up on green beefsteaks with that quality, just too hard to miss the ripeness window. And there are so many great green tomato varieties that get that nice golden green hue, I thought why grow the ones that don't look as scrumptious.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is the Shakherezada / Scheherazade tomato. It is the size of a large peach and covered in fine wool all over. Even inside. When I cut it, I thought it was moldy. I had serious concerns about trying it. Finally, I decided to be brave, closed my eyes and bit it. A very intense and balanced tomato flavor with a hint of something I can't define. It turned out that the devil is not that scary. It's a nice paste tomato, meaty with a little jelly and seeds.

Szachieriezada 1.jpg
Szachieriezada 2.jpg
Szachieriezada 3.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

i think it is more likely to be the type they've bred specifically for their growers and it is commonly mentioned as Dickinson pumpkins.

Last edited:

Latest posts