Watermelons

Jared712

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've bought Yellow Doll at the Farmers market but I've never tried to grow it.

When I grew sugar babies I started them in peat pots, made a mulched mound for each peat pot and set them up in a cold frame. I put straw bales on 3 sides too to help insulate it and left the south side uncovered to help maximize the sunlight it received. Goal was to get them as warm as possible and let them trail, so they transplanted easily.

I got good germination and then moved that mulch, and added more mulch ground temps stable and dry.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This year I am going with cream of Saskatchewan watermelonView attachment 34690
Last season we went with the black tail mountain variety with a little success. This years seeds are supposedly white flesh melons ripening in August.... we will see. All they had was a 1oz packet with 100 or so seeds inside way more than we will use. If anybody wants some of these seeds to try pm your address I will mail you some.
That looks extremely Legit. I hope I can have some of those striped watermelons. I bet they're extremely juicy.

Xerocles

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@seedcorn I called Park's this morning. Spoke to a customer service rep named Steve, very pleasant young man. He was flabbergasted at the error. This is their first report of the problem.
SOLUTION:
1. If you have placed the order CALL their toll free#
1-800-845-3369. If the order has not been shipped, they will correct it to the 3.50 price.
2. If you have NOT finalized your order, when you're ready, CALL and place the order over the phone. They will give you the 3.50 price. Remember, it's the 2020 catalog, PAGE 89.
I knew Park was too big and too established to allow a 1.50 mistake to threaten their reputation or even cost them a potential new customer.
Happy growing....and hope those melons do exactly what you want.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Problem for us is that by the time we get a large one down, we are ready for a break and there 2-5 others ready to be picked.
I had the same problem; and after the first one, didn't crave watermelon as much. Gave a lot away to family, but found that I could juice them in their prime & freeze it for later. That juice tastes pretty good in mid-winter.

It's been a few years now since I last grew watermelon; bad weather forced me to scale back my gardens, and watermelons didn't make the cut. They had a lot of company, I really hope we get a decent season this year, minus the record rainfall.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not you. I tried Blacktail Mountain 3 years running, and got one small melon out of the whole lot. Then again, melon has never done well for me. That's why I was so hopeful I'd get something from this variety.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn I called Park's this morning. Spoke to a customer service rep named Steve, very pleasant young man. He was flabbergasted at the error. This is their first report of the problem.
SOLUTION:
1. If you have placed the order CALL their toll free#
1-800-845-3369. If the order has not been shipped, they will correct it to the 3.50 price.
2. If you have NOT finalized your order, when you're ready, CALL and place the order over the phone. They will give you the 3.50 price. Remember, it's the 2020 catalog, PAGE 89.
I knew Park was too big and too established to allow a 1.50 mistake to threaten their reputation or even cost them a potential new customer.
Happy growing....and hope those melons do exactly what you want.
Thank you as u saved me $2.50. I wasn’t upset. Thought there might be different prices due to economy or some other reason.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Xerocles ordered my seed today. I got a lady who probably hopes I never call again. First, she couldn’t find the watermelon seeds. Then she ordered too many packs of onion seeds. Then they misfigured taxes-3X. Finally to get me to go away (3X on taxes) she gave me free shipping rather than make bill correct. Probably thought dang Nawtherners....

Xerocles

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@Xerocles ordered my seed today. I got a lady who probably hopes I never call again. First, she couldn’t find the watermelon seeds. Then she ordered too many packs of onion seeds. Then they misfigured taxes-3X. Finally to get me to go away (3X on taxes) she gave me free shipping rather than make bill correct. Probably thought dang Nawtherners....
:lol::lol::lol:
Hope those melons do good enough to make all this worthwhile. I didn't know they even add tx to out of state orders! Making me lose faith in my fav local seed company.
Glad to help you northerners any way I can.....gotta make sure you stay up there so you don't invade us again.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
:lol::lol::lol:
Hope those melons do good enough to make all this worthwhile. I didn't know they even add tx to out of state orders! Making me lose faith in my fav local seed company.
Glad to help you northerners any way I can.....gotta make sure you stay up there so you don't invade us again.
They are required to add taxes although surprised I was suppose to pay taxes on shipping as well. Wanted DD to do her traveling nurse gig in SC instead of NC otherwise I would have invaded..... You don’t realize how close SC came to being invaded.......u can breathe now.....

Latest posts