We have baby bunnies!

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Sure, they're cute now. Until they sink teeth to the bone in my finger. Why have they always hated me? Well, if DH gets his rabbits, it'll make it easier to eat them. But gosh they're cute. And if I take care of them (I know it'll end up me doing the dailies) I'll get attached, just like the birds.

Oh my they're cute.

My BIL did the meat rabbit trials. Fantastic well engineered (and I do mean engineered) setup with oversized cages, automatic misters, everything...until he had to butcher. Nope. The two cutest are his "garden fertilizer machines" for life and this lifetime hunter does not raise his own meat. He does trade his wonderful garden produce for eggs with a neighbor.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's never easy to kill any animal - and it shouldn't be. It's the price you have to pay though if you eat meat. It's far better and more honest however to do your own killing rather than pay someone else to do it for you as you do when you buy meat in the store. At least you know they had the best life you were able to give them and their death was as quick and painless as you could make it. You also know that the meat came from healthy animals.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
It's never easy to kill any animal - and it shouldn't be. It's the price you have to pay though if you eat meat. It's far better and more honest however to do your own killing rather than pay someone else to do it for you as you do when you buy meat in the store. At least you know they had the best life you were able to give them and their death was as quick and painless as you could make it. You also know that the meat came from healthy animals.
I agree.

We grew chickens for food when the kids were little and it was a profound experience for the kids. They really appreciate meat now. Seeing meat in plastic packages leaves us dissociated from our food.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hoodat said:
x2

My dad and his two brothers raised meat rabbits when I was a kid. Of course, I didn't realize this until about 30+ years later! :rolleyes: I don't know that we ever ate it or if they just sold them. They had a huge barn and had to have had 60 rabbit cages. I'm guessing it became too much for them to take care of. My dad has passed, but I will see my uncle this weekend and will have to ask him about it.

Your babies are getting cuter and cuter by the day! :D

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We ate it as kids and knew what we were eating but I was a farm boy and took eating animals you raised for granted. A common practice witjh kids who won't eat rabbit is to use fryers and let them think they are eating chicken. You may have eaten rabbit and not known it.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They were hard to photograph today, much more active! I finally gave up and took a video, but this is the best picture. It's pretty much a game of over-under. Either they are trying to burrow under their siblings, or climb on top of them to see what's up there. Nobody has looked over the edge of the nest box yet, but they should be coming out soon.

111220_6023 by wsmoak, on Flickr

-Wendy

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I want to take them home with me and just LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE on them!!!! :p

Latest posts