Weather Where You Are

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The previous record high for March was 70.7 so we smashed it.
A few degrees on average temperatures over a 31 day period IS a big deal.

You reference that by pointing out the 7 days of record highs. Heat on again in the house? Man! Can't that warmth linger just 2 days into the following month!?

Snow again overnight but our ground melts it almost as soon as it hits. The roofs are frozen (see Ridge', insulation!) So the landscape looks like winter. I was wondering yesterday if I couldn't make the lawn look a little better by running the mower. Obviously, there is some grass that has been growing. That growth must be averaging like 1/50th of an inch/day.

Can't take much more wind so I'm happy to be outta that for awhile. Also happy, and almost incredulous, that the greenhouse furnace is doing what it's supposed to do. Knocking On Wood! Yes. The electric heater and extra fan have been set up in there since the plants from the house went out. (That's just like last year.) They haven't been needed once.

Steve, wood knocker

plainolebill

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi St
A few degrees on average temperatures over a 31 day period IS a big deal.

You reference that by pointing out the 7 days of record highs. Heat on again in the house? Man! Can't that warmth linger just 2 days into the following month!?

Snow again overnight but our ground melts it almost as soon as it hits. The roofs are frozen (see Ridge', insulation!) So the landscape looks like winter. I was wondering yesterday if I couldn't make the lawn look a little better by running the mower. Obviously, there is some grass that has been growing. That growth must be averaging like 1/50th of an inch/day.

Can't take much more wind so I'm happy to be outta that for awhile. Also happy, and almost incredulous, that the greenhouse furnace is doing what it's supposed to do. Knocking On Wood! Yes. The electric heater and extra fan have been set up in there since the plants from the house went out. (That's just like last year.) They haven't been needed once.

Steve, wood knocker

Hi Steve, My wife started some Bak Choi under a grow light a few weeks ago, now they are about the right size to set out but it's still chilly and wet here. Will it tolerate a light frost? If not I guess we'll start harvesting a few selective leaves.

Thanks, Bill

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Every sprout needs to adjust to the climate before you set them out. Many people use a small, table fan over their seedlings to toughen up their stems. Also, plant them on a cloudy day so that the sun doesn't bake them to death.

plainolebill

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Every sprout needs to adjust to the climate before you set them out. Many people use a small, table fan over their seedlings to toughen up their stems. Also, plant them on a cloudy day so that the sun doesn't bake them to death.
We're lucky here, an unlimited supply of cloudy days.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey there Bill !

Bok choy can take a frost but as is noted, new transplants are tender things. All of my Asian greens are under plastic film in the hoophouse.

No heat in there right now but it only drops below freezing (just about every morning). The film won't protect them from some cold temperatures (about 5° Fahrenheit above the outdoors) but it's okay until we lose those 5 and we are coming real close. They have been in there awhile so I'm not very worried.

Do you have an option like that? Set up some protection for a week or so ... you also don't want to encourage them to bolt too early from stress. Disappointing to have tiny plants ready to make seeds after you put the effort into them getting the transplants started in life.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
absolutely beautiful weather

For the first time in 2020, the afternoon high may reach 70°.

The weekend forecast earlier looked a little unpleasant with lots of wind. Again!! Unfortunately, it still sounds unpleasant across the Columbia Basin and closer to the Cascades than the Rockies. That area is in a rather serious drought, as well. I hope that the snowmelt provides adequate irrigation for those places that have it.

There is just a slight chance that @thistlebloom will be waking up to a little snow, tomorrow. Snow level descending to 2300 feet which, I'm guessing, may put it at her feet.

I woke up from a dream this morning. Someone was washing the outside of my house and I'd left the window open! Someone wasn't and I didn't but it was a funny way to wake up ... imagined water spraying through an open window :D. I'll have a window open this afternoon -- yay!

Steve

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
absolutely beautiful weather

For the first time in 2020, the afternoon high may reach 70°.

The weekend forecast earlier looked a little unpleasant with lots of wind. Again!! Unfortunately, it still sounds unpleasant across the Columbia Basin and closer to the Cascades than the Rockies. That area is in a rather serious drought, as well. I hope that the snowmelt provides adequate irrigation for those places that have it.

There is just a slight chance that @thistlebloom will be waking up to a little snow, tomorrow. Snow level descending to 2300 feet which, I'm guessing, may put it at her feet.

I woke up from a dream this morning. Someone was washing the outside of my house and I'd left the window open! Someone wasn't and I didn't but it was a funny way to wake up ... imagined water spraying through an open window :D. I'll have a window open this afternoon -- yay!

Steve
The snow we got last weekend was enough for me... seriously already ... it’s April! :)

Latest posts