Weather Where You Are

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
going from mid 40s down to the teenies tonight. we got home from running errands right when a snow squall came through, but now i'm looking at a near full moon in a fairly clear sky (one reason why it will be so cold tonight).

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've always loved studying ants and could have easily been an ant-o-mologist (Entomology :) for insects in general or ants in specific would be Myrmecology)...

When I was a kid, I would catch them and put them in gallon jars and put dirt in and they would dig tunnels down the sides of the jar. I would put food and water in and then let them go after a few days.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a kid, I would catch them and put them in gallon jars and put dirt in and they would dig tunnels down the sides of the jar. I would put food and water in and then let them go after a few days.

i had an Uncle Milton's ant farm for some time but also made my own ant farms and went searching for a small brown ant queen and found one. she did not survive though and then after an accident which i wasn't around for so i don't know what happened, but Mom and a friend of hers spent one of their date evenings trying to find all the ants that got away... so that was the end of the ant farms...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
In Australia, the hottest day on record across the continent. Unofficial, so far.

Bureau of Meteorology

digitS'

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
sunny but windy and cold today and tonight with the wind chill below zero F. then we get a warm spell into the mid 40s this weekend and into next week. a bit of snow last night and perhaps a squall or two today.

even if it is cold it is nice to have the sun out for a change. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's snowing.

The temperature is only right at freezing this morning and supposed to warm several degrees. With that warming, the snow level will rise to the higher mountains with rain down here. A good chance for significant mountain snow pack. Yay!

The precipitation the WS says will continue with the snow level slowly dropping until Sunday night when it will be back down at this elevation. Will that mean a White Christmas? Time will Tell but this looks like it will be the most significant amount of moisture hereabouts for weeks and weeks. That usually means warm, almost coastal conditions with any snow melting or being washed off by rain. After Christmas -- that's another story!

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had our second frost of the year this morning, a fairly light frost. I had most things covered with sheets but the few things not covered didn't look bad. Of course those were tougher things like kale. I haven't taken the sheets off yet, I'll need to dry them and put them away. We are expecting an inch of rain Friday night through Sunday morning. It will be a while before I need them again.

Christmas Eve is projected to he a high of 65 F, Christmas morning a ow of 47, and Christmas Day a high of 70. No precipitation from Monday through Friday. Sister-in Law is visiting from Minnesota for those days, be interesting to see how she dresses and how she takes it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had our second frost of the year this morning, a fairly light frost. I had most things covered with sheets but the few things not covered didn't look bad. Of course those were tougher things like kale. I haven't taken the sheets off yet, I'll need to dry them and put them away. We are expecting an inch of rain Friday night through Sunday morning. It will be a while before I need them again.

Christmas Eve is projected to he a high of 65 F, Christmas morning a ow of 47, and Christmas Day a high of 70. No precipitation from Monday through Friday. Sister-in Law is visiting from Minnesota for those days, be interesting to see how she dresses and how she takes it.

i find it amazing that this cold gets that far south. certainly some cool days here the past few but then we warm up to almost 50 in a few days. zig-zag weather... hope the plants aren't damaged by the frost.

Latest posts