Weather

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We were under tornado warning all day, but luckily nothing and not much wind occurred. But we did get 4" of rain today (in my rain gauge at home, maybe more other places). Lots of flash flooding and state of emergency declared in 44 of 55 counties. A 4-year-old boy was swept away in the floodwaters next town over and hasn't been found. :(

Had to drive my dad back via interstate from a follow-up appt with the neurosurgeon today in that dark downpour. The car was trying to hydroplane and he kept telling me to speed up. :\ He's got another blood clot, so we ended up back in the ER, lots of drama, long day. My nerves are shredded.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We were under tornado warning all day, but luckily nothing and not much wind occurred. But we did get 4" of rain today (in my rain gauge at home, maybe more other places). Lots of flash flooding and state of emergency declared in 44 of 55 counties. A 4-year-old boy was swept away in the floodwaters next town over and hasn't been found. :(

Had to drive my dad back via interstate from a follow-up appt with the neurosurgeon today in that dark downpour. The car was trying to hydroplane and he kept telling me to speed up. :\ He's got another blood clot, so we ended up back in the ER, lots of drama, long day. My nerves are shredded.

What a day! I'm glad you got home safe after all that. I hope you have some days to just be at home and get caught up with your own life. :hugs

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a scary day in more than one way. Glad the worst by-passed you, still, 4 inches is well more than enough for one day. I hate driving in rainstorms!

At least Dad's problem was diagnosed and treated. Not fun for you, but still a good thing.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Despite my fervent intentions, I didn't get into the garden today. Cleaned and situated furniture from the bed move until the dew was off the grass, then Spouse and I mowed.

I don't know how far I walked, but I know I walked for 2 1/2 hours with a break now and then. It's been a couple of weeks since the lawn was mowed -- just before I spread fertilizer -- and I didn't want to have a "bale that field" look to the yard so I used a gas push mower and collected the clippings.

I am so tired! My legs hardly want to carry me to the bedroom, much less out to lock up the chickens and carry feed and water for the morning. Back to the kitchen to feed the dog and tote cat food to the deck for one of those non-existant cats.

Tomorrow is the last day of school for the summer. Both Gypsy and Maverick have promised to help with the mowing this weekend. . .
We rarely fertilize that lawn. Yes it looks better, but then we need to mow 2X a week. Neighbors keeping off your land?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, never been under or around tornado warning. Can they get strong enough where you guys are to beat up a house?

They don't usually run far here because of the hills, but what they do hit they tear up, even for an E1.

You'd not believe how much crazier my day got. Dad did finally come around and agree to treatment. They gave him a pill, Eliquis. He was just scared of the painful shots. So we started the day off back at the ER to finish up with that. Then off to Ava's birthday pool party (thankfully the weather got nice for that, had a great time. My Dad and my husband and Ava all share a birthday.) After that my sister and I and our families went over to take Dad his birthday present and assemble it, a new swing for him to enjoy sitting in the yard after lawn work. He wasn't there. He came tearing up the driveway some time later. Turns out my brother had just gotten hit in the face with an angle grinder, cut up his nose. BACK to the ER we go. I feel like I'm living in the twilight zone. :confused: Brother's nose will be ok for the most part, going be scarred, but at least he still has one. I have a picture, but trust me you don't want to see it.

Turning off the phone and sleeping til noon tomorrow! :th

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, you deserve a couple of days at a spa, getting waited on, pampered and spoiled. After a day like that, I think I would go sit in the back of the closet and hide.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your weather made national news, @journey11 .

I know that your immediate circumstances had about a thousand times more meaning to you but, the 10's of millions flinched to know of the flooding.

We just had an odd day. Obviously, I was a little too optimistic about improving weather here. If I got it right, it was 63°f just after midnight and 51° at 3 in the afternoon, the daily high and low. By the time I came back in the house in the evening, the wind died, the rain stopped, and the sun came out ...

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, it was an 100 year flood they said on the news. My immediate area is at 900 ft. above sea level. The people in the valleys below us were hit hard, but my county was not even the worst. One of the young girls in my church group was with the little boy who drowned and was unable to save him. I can't imagine what she is going through. He was her nephew from what I hear. That water looks shallow, but is unbelievably powerful. The Ohio River is cresting as the water runs down out of the mountains. Just feels like there has been a dark cloud over everything for days. My dad has a camp site along a creek in Greenbrier Co. where they got nearly 10 inches. It has a trailer on it. I suppose someone would have called us if it washed away. The least of my worries right now.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, it was an 100 year flood they said on the news. My immediate area is at 900 ft. above sea level. The people in the valleys below us were hit hard, but my county was not even the worst. One of the young girls in my church group was with the little boy who drowned and was unable to save him. I can't imagine what she is going through. He was her nephew from what I hear. That water looks shallow, but is unbelievably powerful. The Ohio River is cresting as the water runs down out of the mountains. Just feels like there has been a dark cloud over everything for days. My dad has a camp site along a creek in Greenbrier Co. where they got nearly 10 inches. It has a trailer on it. I suppose someone would have called us if it washed away. The least of my worries right now.
you and the family stay safe.....

Latest posts