Welcome To TheEasyGarden Forum!

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Jumping into the middle of all these pleasant meets and greets, I sure do have some questions. I'm not mature enough for backyard chickens this year:D, but I have a lot of questions for myself and for friends. For someone who has the room, what are the best forage plants, and what can supply calories for winter, like sorghum, amaranth, millet, or buckwheat. Some of those could be cut, and dried in a shed, and fed to the flock over the winter, without threshing???pretty easy sounding. Where's the flaw in my reasoning? How easy would it be to get any of these to reseed into enough yearly supply, so you're doing minimum work? One friend of mine brainstorming with me, liked the idea of buckwheat because it matures quickly and smothers weeds, requiring little cultivation, and does reseed. He also thought sorghum sounded easy and promising.

I did read some cool info in Backyard Poultry Mag about drying and freezing greens/weeds for winter.

Another super grand idea I wonder about, is a huge worm compost pile, protected from flock in summer, open for forage (scraps and worms) in winter. (Especially if it were in a greenhouse where it wouldn't freeze too bad in z5?)

I can't wait til I'm big enough to have chickens. Maybe next year when I'm 49.:/

Looking forward to talking and evesdropping.

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh. This is a gardening forum, not a poultry forum. So I should find that other one. Okay. Nice meeting you just the same:D:rolleyes::lol::rolleyes::cool::)

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi I just signed up looking forward to sharing Spring planting with y'all...Pam

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
Hi Pam....

So glad to see you here...
Hope all is well with Drew and your family...

I have just 5 weeks left...

I've been planning my garden (in my head), and since I will get back home well past when so many have already started their gardens, Im going to rely on mostly containers, and just 2 garden beds that I think I can prepare in a few weeks time...

Have all my seeds semi ordered... and hope they will be there when I come home.. so I can start right away...

Im so excited about the prospect......

I can just imagine how all your northeners feel..with snow and cold, just waiting for spring to get started... I am right there with you... getting antsy to get home and get started...

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
kellygirrl said:
Oh. This is a gardening forum, not a poultry forum. So I should find that other one. Okay. Nice meeting you just the same:D:rolleyes::lol::rolleyes::cool::)
The link to all of our sister forums is at the bottom of every page - but we won't get upset with chicken references here, many of us have both chickens and gardens.
catchchick.gif

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Athena said:
momofdrew said:
Hi Pam....

So glad to see you here...
Hope all is well with Drew and your family...

I have just 5 weeks left...

I've been planning my garden (in my head), and since I will get back home well past when so many have already started their gardens, Im going to rely on mostly containers, and just 2 garden beds that I think I can prepare in a few weeks time...

Have all my seeds semi ordered... and hope they will be there when I come home.. so I can start right away...

Im so excited about the prospect...... I can just imagine how all your northeners feel..with snow and cold, just waiting for spring to get started... I am right there with you... getting antsy to get home and get started...
Athena HI!!!! glad to see you on here too...Drew has been temporarily {SP} reassigned to another camp he said it would only be for about 2 weeks to a month...He had just gotten a real room and unpacked...He had to repack all his gear and put it in storage...He hopes he wont be with out a room when he comes back to CAmp FAlcon...he said the tent was really cold to sleep in...

I am going through all my seed catalogs and draming of the day I can dig in the dirt again...we are zone 3b-4 depends on the year...I am planning on enlarging my garden this year as the coop is in the middle of the old veggie area so am putting a few raised beds in an other part of the yard... :happy_flower

Pam :watering

you'll be

bantamfan

Sprout
Reaction score
Bantamfan here, sure hope this site goes as well as the BYC one has.

Question; Composting, how and what? Never done it before, but I
gather it's piling up all your waste, food scraps, leaves, grass cuttings, the works. Right? Do you add manure to the mix? Do you rotate it regularly? Those barrell compost bins I've checked out are way to expensive in by way of thinking.
We have property in New Mexico in the mountains, and the soil is kind of clay type. When it gets wet it sticks to your shoes like glue, and you sink to your ankels. I plan on a garden there in the near future, and plan on hauling in some sand, manure, and leaves, then plowing it under with my lil John Deere M. Am I going about it right?
The compost will be added as we get it ready.

Thanks

bantamfan

Sprout
Reaction score
My wife just called me and said the President in yesterdays news is saying everyone is going to have to raise their own vegatables, and that we have to use specified fertilizer that he, Obama, dictates. If we fail to do so, we face a confiscation of our property, and a million dollar fine. Has anyone heard anything about this? I can't believe the man thinks he can be King, and dictate all we do. If this is true, then we are now a communist state, no more America the free.
All I want to do is live on my land and raise a nice garden and my bantams.

Latest posts