What are you eating from the garden today?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
1-2 tomatoes at a time.
I have NEVER had to wait THIS LONG for tomatoes to ripen!!!! They are covered with green tomatoes and not even the volunteer cherry and roma tomatoes want to turn red. :barnie
TOO MUCH RAIN!!!!!
SOOOOO Frustrated!!! :rant

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chard!

This has worked so well I will mention it in 2 threads : here and in the warm season greens threads. Yeah!

In something like 6 weeks from sowing, the chard is plenty big enough for the kitchen. The edible amaranth was last week. They beat out the bok choy through the heat of mid-summer, growing where the potatoes had grown, through several months earlier. Yay!

I harvested a few bok choy plants today, for stir fry tomorrow. From 3 sowing beginning in mid-July and including the last group, which will be moved into the greenhouse next month, I should have bok choy any 2016 day from here on out :).

Since orach volunteers were moved in amongst the potatoes when they were planted about the first of April, this bed has already been in continuous production for 5 months. Bushels of potatoes, all those greens, a couple of handfuls of snow peas soon, even several flats of plants for the winter greenhouse. Imagine if my entire vegetable garden was maintained to this level of production ..!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Winter squash!

We brought several home over the last few days. There won't be many buttercups but the one we had today sure was good!

Many people wait for frost to kill the vines but some horticulturalists say that we should not do that. Vines dying is okay but the fruit is at risk of damage. The bush buttercups have performed poorly but there are Burgess Buttercups. Sweet Meat has tucked it's squash near the furthest reach of its long vines. Those would mostly have protection since they are in the sunflowers and under the zucchini.

Whether it freezes soon or not, baked winter squash!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will be out at one garden at dawn, GWR. My hand will be on the irrigation valve.

It's 39.7°f at the nearest Weather Underground site. I see that it was 4° warmer, 3 hours ago on their history chart. It really looks like there will be a bottom that is above freezing. Might be as chilly as it was on Friday, when I was also there at dawn.

I hope it doesn't freeze at the other garden. Twenty plus years there and it can still fool me in that protected location.

It's been another odd year. The very first Galia melons came home, yesterday. I've had those every year for a long time and been eating cantaloupe for weeks. If we would have had an early frost, they might have been lost.

No pole beans this year. (What!? A TEG gardener with no pole beans?! ;)) My early-July 2nd planting of Jade bush beans should make it but nothing has been picked there so far! I don't know if I've ever waited this late with that planting date.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
My butternuts are starting to bear like crazy. Already had a decent amount but now they are setting new ones. Be interesting to see if they have time to. Finish

Latest posts