What are you eating from the garden today?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My early-July 2nd planting of Jade bush beans should make it but nothing has been picked there so far! I don't know if I've ever waited this late with that planting date.
Took lots off beans of those plants this week.

I now see the reason for late production - shade. I knew that the tall bushes on the east would shade one end of that bed. What I didn't realize was that the (once small) spruce would have long enough shadows to shade some parts of the entire bed during mid-day.

Shade in July sure isn't shade in September, around here!

Still, both kinds of the melons are rolling in. Really, everything late season is there for us. Have not mentioned Late Flat Dutch cabbages ... probably because I'm so tired of harvesting cabbages at most anytime and seeing the damage aphids do. Makes me wonder if the commercial growers use a systematic early to poison the whole, dang plant early in the season. You didn't know that they could use that stuff on food plants? Sure. It's just a matter of timing ...

I think about a novel I read about a little German boy during the final months of WW2. There was little food or money to buy it. He was eating the leaves of cabbages, left in the fields after harvest. Sad story.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am still getting beans, a few peppers, bringing in tomatoes, lots of mustard greens, lettuce, spinach. I had a friend born in Germany and was about 5 during the war and she remembers the bombing and having to go down in shelters at night and come up and houses gone. She lived in Berlin. Her mother could make a meal for 4 of them with 1 potato. She made soup with it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm just gonna go ahead and say it ... even though I have not eaten a one ... yet. But, they are out of the garden and here at the house. I'm planning on using them Saturday!

Leeks and Celery Root to go with some of the potatoes already in the basement for - soup!

Bestest potato soup on Earth ... I need to stop at the store for some cow's milk :). I have both soy and almond milk in the fridge. If they weren't sweetened, they would be okay but ...

:D Steve

Latest posts