What are you eating from the garden today?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last couple of days I've been gathering produce from the garden to take take to the beach. 20+ lbs. of potatoes, onions, garlic, Tatume and Desi squash, tomatoes, peppers, cukes, and also pulled two spaghetti squash for curing here.

So that's your secret? Taking vegetables to the beach? I can see you now, everybody on their little beach towels, you applying sun screen to their little faces....

Maybe if I offer mine a ride on the bike, or hike in the woods they'd step it up and start growing. Incentives are everything!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20160625_081718141_HDR.jpg

Escarole! With chicken sausage and potato cakes ...

No, the potatoes weren't from the garden! They really could have been ... I think. Maybe, I will dig into that bed today, and see!

The potato cakes are kinda special (sorta ;)). DW decided to stop at the deli the other day. She got me jalapeno poppers because I like them and mashed potatoes, because I don't care much for French fries, which were for her. There were leftovers!

So, mashed potatoes, chopped French fries and jalapeno, and an egg - it's good!

The escarole is a perfect accompaniment for my Saturday brunch :). There is quite a bit in the garden. I think I'll get some beans soaking for Sunday's lunch. Escarole and bean soup!

Steve :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
She should be able to grow both.

The escarole is left alone by the pesky slugs and flea beetles. The plants must be cold hearty because they are big, robust things this year.

My dry beans are from '15, of course. But, I think some Cannellini bean plants would have time to mature a crop, even now. I need to try the escarole as a fall crop ... have I done that?

Oh Boy, this white chocolate and raspberry ice cream for dessert with coffee is sure good!

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pepper?!

My pepper plants look okay. Surprisingly! Weather miseries considered ... Might be flowering :).

I noticed that the two Bloody Butcher tomato plants I gave the neighbor have 1 ripe tomato, each.

She didn't remove flowers when she set them out last month, like I do. Her tomatoes look okay but they always look better than mine ... miles away. At least, they don't look "miles" better and I have grown accustomed to seeing this difference ... or, it would hurt my feelings.

;) Steve
Steve I know what you mean, I gave a clump of Bee Balm to neighbor. Bee balm was a big disappointment in my garden.Yet right next door it took off.

I have some bee balm that is almost as tall as me and I 5-8-1/2. I have bee balm all over my yard in different places, but this is next to the box I planted lettuce and covered. I did not know it, but the bee balm was also under the plastic. I have never seen bee balm do this. I will take a picture soon.

Latest posts