What are you eating from the garden today?

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
image.jpeg

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
image.jpeg
Had a Tatume squash casserole last night, delicious! I picked these tomatoes green last Friday and we are eating them now. The melon is from a local farm stand and is a canary, delicious, has a pear like textur and taste, I saved the seeds for planting when I get home.
Low country boil for supper tonight!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Creamed peas and new potatoes. The shell peas, our standard - Green Arrow. The vines have done okay with nicely filled-out pods despite the blast of record heat about 3 weeks ago.

The potatoes are Red LaSoda. First time growing this year and the one plant did real well. They aren't "going down" yet from a planting the last few days of March. Still, I was pleased with the good number of baseball-size spuds!

DW had them cooking on the stove before I could get in and weigh them! You know how I am ... well, I'm slow, too.

The creamed peas and potatoes were delicious ;).

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Picked the first zucchini and it was fried. I brought in some Swiss chard and cooked in olive oil with some garlic and onions, and put some toasted pecans on and pretty good. DD stir fried some kale with some other vegetables.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The last of the pea pods with shell peas, carrots, and onions in chicken soup.

On the side, edible amaranth ... the last of that, also. It's an unusual green (purple ;)). Pronounced flavor and the fragrance while cooking reminds me of green beans.

It bolted very quickly. I looked closely at some pictures and believe that the leaves should not have been so small. It must really not be an early season vegetable! I will get some more seed in the soil soon and see what it thinks of our August temperatures.

Edit: and Zucchini Bread :)!

Steve
who didn't follow @hoodat 's advice on saving callaloo seed. would it have been good in that chicken soup instead of rice :hu?

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still have a few escarole plants in the little veggie garden.

Pulled those that began life in the backyard hoop house. Sown when ... maybe in March? It was becoming quite coarse in appearance after 3 months under plastic and 3 weeks in direct sun. How's that for a spring green :)?

There's some in the fridge but I think that the escarole season has passed. It would be interesting to learn how well it sprouts and grows from a summer sowing.

Steve