What are You Eating from the Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peppers. I have been boiling them to make a sauce through my tomato press. This morning it was about 25% tomato, 75 peppers. Banana and others

My favorite chili paste (not siracha sp?) was a fairly mellow chili paste with the rooster logo. You would not want more than a spoonful in your plate with that heat. I cannot buy it and this vid explains why..

I instantly tasted the reality of how it was made in my boiled pepper paste and said to myself "Yo! Keep going forward!"..

Sriracha pepper source for sauce.

the rooster logo with the green cap is the same company (Huy Fong Foods Inc.) that makes the sriracha sauce, unless someone else has also taken up that logo. it's a pepper sauce with garlic, but they also have a plain version. i'm not sure which you are speaking of... :)

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
the rooster logo with the green cap is the same company (Huy Fong Foods Inc.) that makes the sriracha sauce, unless someone else has also taken up that logo. it's a pepper sauce with garlic, but they also have a plain version. i'm not sure which you are speaking of... :)
Screenshot_20230904_060605_Chrome.jpg

This is the one I stumbled upon so many years ago. No garlic but better for adding into dishes that may have garlic. It ruined me for lousiana style hot sauces -even frank's fermented sauce, except wings of course.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been enjoying heirloom crookneck squash from my garden with lots of butter and black pepper, together with onions and homefries (made with potatoes from someone else's garden, and pasture-raised lamb, both from the farmers market). I'd forgotten how much I love yellow summer squash, and plan to grow more next summer, this time utilizing netting before the deer decide to harvest 2/3rd of my crop again!

Then for my bedtime snack of Candyland tomatoes with chunks of jalapeno cheddar cheese and a cup of lemon ginger tea.

Last edited:

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Peppers. I have been boiling them to make a sauce through my tomato press. This morning it was about 25% tomato, 75 peppers. Banana and others

My favorite chili paste (not siracha sp?) was a fairly mellow chili paste with the rooster logo. You would not want more than a spoonful in your plate with that heat. I cannot buy it and this vid explains why..

I instantly tasted the reality of how it was made in my boiled pepper paste and said to myself "Yo! Keep going forward!"..

Sriracha pepper source for sauce.
This is the siracha sauce I buy

Attachments

• IMG_20230904_083009943_482x640.jpg
    IMG_20230904_083009943_482x640.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 55

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 60263

This is the one I stumbled upon so many years ago. No garlic but better for adding into dishes that may have garlic. It ruined me for lousiana style hot sauces -even frank's fermented sauce, except wings of course.

i was a converted chili head many years ago when my sister married someone from the SW. after visiting and enjoying his Mom's cooking and various other places to eat around town then i started learning how to cook that ways myself and haven't really looked back. i do not need a lot of heat but i do want some once in a while. most hot pepper sauces have too much vinegar or other seasonings in them and that's not what i want them for. flavor, chili flavor, fermented or not is fine with me but i'm not much into the citrusy flavors of many hot sauces so i settled on Sriracha as an acceptable version. i have so far not run out for too long but my brief foray into Cholula left me trying something else and for a green sauce i found that Trader Joe's Green Dragon sauce at least hit my right level of heat and since i do like cilantro it was ok on flavor, but it was not Sriracha sauce... so i do have a small bottle that i just will start on and that should hold me for a while. :) i don't need a lot of it all the time but...

right now Beaver Dam peppers are hitting all my chili and hot spots and that is good with me.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_0727.jpg
This doesn't really show the bok choy after it bolts, it's a little messy at that stage. Messy now ;). Just a little jungle of greens that will contribute to our greens menu for awhile. This bed will soon be in complete shade but quite protected by the fence and carport. For the next several months of harvesting: the Portuguese kale (one leaf very close to the camera and several small plants in the distance), the tall collards, the Scotch kale, the bok choy, and the mustard greens ... will be available for harvest.

Elsewhere, there are choy sum, gai lan, and more of the greens shown in the picture. Some are in a tiny bed in the greenhouse. It isn't in the most protected location in there being right against the South wall, but should have some greens for harvest into December - mostly mustard. I've had greens in the larger area under the greenhouse bench after dismantling it and carrying it out. However, I had to cover this with an additional sheet of plastic film and even tarps during the coldest Winter days. That's quite a bother altho probably worth the effort from this "easy gardener." :)

I think that we are actually making a transition in our diet from so much bok choy to the gai lan. I've grown it for years but there are new varieties with a very nice, tender stalk. I've always liked broccoli but didn't know of the "flowering" Asian vegetables until recent years ... There was an accidental purchase of choy sum seed at an Asian market when they still had a rack of seed. That is still grown altho experimenting with other choy sum varieties wasn't so successful by our tastes.

BTW, if you haven't tried some of these brassicas out of their "traditional" harvest seasons, they should be worth it. First of all, I was amazed that collards could survive into the Winters and became more tender and palatable to my tastes during those months. Scotch kale, waiting for heavy frost tenderizes the leaves but the very young leaves are also quite tender so Summer harvest isn't a bad idea. Portuguese kale cannot survive much of a frost. It's a favorite but not-all-kales-are-created-equal.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i was a converted chili head many years ago when my sister married someone from the SW. after visiting and enjoying his Mom's cooking and various other places to eat around town then i started learning how to cook that ways myself and haven't really looked back. i do not need a lot of heat but i do want some once in a while. most hot pepper sauces have too much vinegar or other seasonings in them and that's not what i want them for. flavor, chili flavor, fermented or not is fine with me but i'm not much into the citrusy flavors of many hot sauces so i settled on Sriracha as an acceptable version. i have so far not run out for too long but my brief foray into Cholula left me trying something else and for a green sauce i found that Trader Joe's Green Dragon sauce at least hit my right level of heat and since i do like cilantro it was ok on flavor, but it was not Sriracha sauce... so i do have a small bottle that i just will start on and that should hold me for a while. :) i don't need a lot of it all the time but...

right now Beaver Dam peppers are hitting all my chili and hot spots and that is good with me.
If I am cooking chicken strips to go over rice, sometimes I just shake on some red pepper flakes onto the chicken while stir frying it if I'm out of siracha sauce and it's pretty good with a little olive oil and salt!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
stuffed green peppers last night and today. we had two buckets of green peppers to work with and one of my brother's and my nephew are coming over today for lunch and a visit later so they will get loaded up and sent off with food. :)

good thing because we won't have room in the fridge.

as it is i have to get out and pick some tomatoes this morning before i get back to dry bean picking. we have chances of rain today and the next three days so whatever i can get picked of the dry beans will help. i'm hoping today's slight chances will miss us. i was told that i can't bring the tomatoes in the house but it being so hot outside i said i would bring them in my room until i can start getting them processed this afternoon - maybe only one batch, we'll see... i dunno right now as i'm laying here and they are out there... ---> (yes, that arrow actually points right at where i have to go to get them :) )...

Last edited:

Latest posts